Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Would one of these make a good boat chunking stick?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'd like to pick one of these up from Worcboy but I haven't been able to track down any info on them:

GBT821H

GBT781XH

I need something to match with an Abu 7000, 65# braid for boat chunking 20#+ bass. Would either of these work? If it could double as a jetty livelining rod that would be a big plus.

Sudsy,

Both of the blanks you listed are all graphite and too heavy in action for your application. You should look at the following blanks:

Lami:

CGBT961M

CGBT841M or 1L

Calstar:

GF800L or 700L

Al G.

Suds - they are way too stiff for what you want to do. Obviously, you're looking for a discount blank, and when one looks for a discount blank....Forcast is the one. 7'H, or an 8'H which you can cut down. Both cost less than $25, and there are tackle shops in NJ which carry them. Gatorglass is another option.

How often do you boat fish?

How often do you boat fish?

No more than 5 or 6 times a year, that's why I'd like something that would do double+ duty as a jetty liveliner and bridge stick.

I'm thinking 9' with a soft enough tip to throw a

2 oz bucktail but strong enough to lob a bunker away from the rocks with a strong enough butt section to winch a short up onto a bridge. This stick will take a beating which is why I'd prefer to keep the cost down.

It'll be paired with an Abu 8600

I realize I'm asking a lot - if it could only do the boat and jetty thing that would be a reasonable compromise.

Too bad the Forcast's don't come in 9'. I'm not familiar with Gatorglass blanks, but do know they are used for the bridge fishing thing. They are also quite cheap.

I'm not familiar with Gatorglass blanks, but do know they are used for the bridge fishing thing. They are also quite cheap.

I'd like to find something price and qualitywise right in the middle of Lami and Gator.

I didn't mean to infer that Gator was a crap rod or anything. I know a few guys that have em and they're a good rod at a great price. Just reminds me too much of an Ugly Stick I guess.