Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skitter

Lamiglas Surf and Jetty Spinnings Rod For the Canal

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Good morning Al

What do you recommend for a stout spinning rod for the Cape Cod Canal that would be mutipurpose.... Jigs, plugs,and bait in the 2 to 4 oz range?

Much appreciated......................SP

------------------

wannagofishing

Boy skitterpop I'm really feelin' for ya.

What is up with the search engine. You'd find so many threads especially on this topic than you would know what to do with.

I spent nearly my entire last winter, surfing here, going to shows, reading and talking to some tackle shops on how to get the best canal jiggin' stick.

I had my hear set on an xra1205...once I put my hands on the 1322 I had to have it. I'm tryin' to fix up an old rod that I had and turn it into a jiggin' stick. I'm not sure how it is going to work out, but I should have somethin fairly soon.

You are not going to get a rod that will throw jigs/plugs/and bait well.

I would suggest that you just start building your arsenal one weapon at a time. Think about the fishing that you do the most or will do the most this coming season. Get a rod that will perform that function the best. Then as the season progresses and your interests change you can get another one.

I heard someone somewhere...can't remember when describe their rods like golf-clubs. You need a specialized rod for every situation.

The 1322 is an amazing plug rod. I absolutely love it. I am not even that good with it and only after one season I can cast further than I ever thought I would.

However, I do not like it for heavy jiggin, above 3 oz. It just isn't made for this function. The tip is too light and you cannot lift/feel the jig.

You will want to be able to throw 4oz. on the canal if you want to jig.

Oh i almost forgot...the 1322 pops a popper incredibly..with a handle like skitterpop..it might be right up your alley........

SP---that last blank is fiberglass, and Lamiglas doesn't sell any factory made finished fiberglass rods---blanks only.

I have almost every Lamiglas rod blank ever made, or have had one at one time or another. I think a 10' rod should be the best length for a general purpose rod, because in a lot of spots, especially at high tide, you don't have a lot of room behind ya. The ones I would suggest for the Canal are:

XRA 1205. If you can swing the price, this is the Rolls Royce of general-purpose Canal rods

GSB 120 1M.

SB or BSB 121 3M.

SB 136 4M cut approx 16" from the butt.

If you want to consider other brands besides Lamiglas, the All Star 1208 blank makes a very good general purpose rod for the Ditch at a substantial savings over any Lamiglas graphite blank.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 02-09-2003).]

Thank you all for the info. biggrin.gif

I`ve printed this thread to save.

It does look like I will have to purchase a few rods but probably one at a time for now.

Though I do a bunch of production stuff from shops and Wal...t.... to get me by till I get my dream gear.

Any thoughts to Frank Ds recommendation for a surf rod being 9 ft as workable? I see here quite a few of you go with the XSRA 1322-2 which is an 11 ft....isn`t this cumbersome for hiking and casting the beaches?

Is it Spring yet??????????? SP smile.gif

I love my XRA 126 1MH 10'6" for jigging,eel skinning and 4oz plugs.I saw Ron Arra with his XRA 126 cast a 4 1/2 oz lure nearly to the other side of the Canal at the pillings one winter when he was practicing with Stan his friend.

The best rods (IMO) for the canal casting in the 2 to 4 OZ range are the ones Ditch jigger mentioned. The Lami Arra XRA 1205 and the Allstar 1208. For 4 to 6 OZ , the Allstar 1209 and the Lami XRA 126 1 MH are heavier and better at these weights. The Allstar 1209 is a real telephone pole though. Not for anything but very heavy jigs and plugs. Its also a great short bait caster.

The XRA 1205 will cast everything well. Its a great rod. The Allstar 1208 is surprisingly heavy duty for a rod labled as '8 weight". I just built one the other night and my thoughts were about what a great canal rod it would make.

I fished 9 footers for several years at the Canal and opted for the ten foot Arra XRA 1205 last year. At high tide , you have to shorten up your casting tail or you'll be snagging the bushes behind you. At high tide , I still think a 9 footer is nice. Once the tide drops a little and you can get down a couple of steps (most of the time) , You have more room and have to deal with the lip. The extra foot with the ten footers really helps both in casting (you can swing it freely with the extra room behind you) and retrieving the jigs over the lip.

I think the 2 Arra XRA rods are the best. If you want to save money , I would go with the Allstars overs the Lami GSB series. Just my opinion.

For a two piecer , the Allstar 1266 makes a good canal rod too. I find most of what I do is with 3 and 4 OZ jigs and its great at those weights. You can go 5 OZ but I would say not 6 OZ with the 1266.

I want to look at the Lami Triflex series a little closer. I think there are some Triflex blanks that will build into good Canal rods. Lots of potential for guys who use braid. At the Rodcrafters seminar , I saw several Triflex blanks that I thought had potential for good canal rods. Its hard to tell until yopu build it. Just feeling and ceiling poking the blank is informative but there is nothing like having the finished rod in your hands.