Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leprechaun

Al, Nice to Meet Ya

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Al - glad I finally got a chance to meet you today at the Freeport Show.

Really like your custom Cape Fear LB70 and the potent-looking little CF fluke-jigger you made up.

Plus - glad I got to see those new Calstar "Medium Action" graphite blanks - about time that company found out E.C. guys like a little slower action to their sticks than the W.C. tuna crowd.

You ought to get the word out about those blanks - they look SUPER for tog and bass.

Anyway, thanks again for you time.

rgds, Leprechaun

Lep,

Great to meet you too. The word is already out on the Calstars. Mark Flynn and I came up with that design last year and it's been a challenge to keep up with the demand.

The Cape Fears are also great blanks and I hope they become more reasonably priced since they are missing a potentially large market. I hope they improve their production process to gain some efficiencies that will result in lower prices.

The show was a success. My two talks were well received. Capt. Neil and I had little time to talk to each other since our booth was always packed with people asking questions. The spiral wrapped rod demo was a big hit. Attila's two talks had "standing room only" and were also a big hit.

It was great to meet lots of SOL members and put faces with names.

Onward to Suffern in two weeks then it's the Rodcrafter National Seminar in Allentown, PA at the end of March. After that it's April and the official beginning of my fishing season. Hurraaaaaay!

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 02-19-2002).]

Al - Funny you should mention Mark Flynn.

Quick story. About 17 years ago I had a couple of what were then quite unique graphite Codfish rods made up at Sea Isle tackle. One was about 7'10" for Coxes Ledge and the other a real monster jigger for Georges. That was before the "Fuji" revolution and they had (and still have) those horrible chromed Perfection aluminum oxide guides that turn green every time they so much as see the ocean.

Anyway, flash forward to last December and I was with my wife at the "5 and Dime" store on Wantagh Ave just north of the train station and noticed a "Custom Rod Shop" around the corner. Well it didn't take long to find an excuse to shoot around the corner and check out the place.

I no sooner got in the door than the owner, whom I did not recognize, walked over to me and said, "Hi. Didn't I build you two graphite Cod Rods over at Sea Isle about 17 years ago?" Well I looked real hard at him and though he looked familiar I couldn't honestly say I remembered him. He says "Yeah, you live on Wantagh Park Drive and your name is Pete, isn't it?"

Spooky, man. Its got to be some kind of gift or something. He then introduced himself as Mark Flynn, the builder that did those rods for me all those years ago (When we actually COULD catch cod around here) and we got to shooting the bull about rods in general and Cape Fears, Calstars and St. Croixs in particular.

Since the blank I wanted to build on is no longer available from CF - the BW2030TSU63-Plus, a faster action standup than is now available from CF (But less fast than the LB70 you showed me), we went thru his inventory of blanks and picked out a St. Croix 2M76MHF which we trimmed to 6'4" from the tip and he wrapped it up very nicely with NSGs. Very close in action to my fav CF - but nowhere near the price of course.

Just a gorgeous rod for bass chumming up in the Wantagh marshes and tog at 17. But now that you and I have spoken, I sure wish he had mentioned those specific Calstar blanks you showed me. The Calstars he had at the time were the very fast WC models, unsuitable IMO for my needs.

Oh well, always room on the garage rafters for another rod down the line, I guess.

rgds, Leprechaun

[This message has been edited by Leprechaun (edited 02-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Leprechaun (edited 02-18-2002).]

Lep,

Mark is a great rodbuilder. I have spent many hours in his shop talking about blank designs. That's how we came up with those two Calstars.

That is a great story about Mark. I did not realize he was at Sea Isle for so long.

Al