Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

Size A thread work on a surf rod?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I'm half way through with the guides on my 1266, going great, looking good. I admit, however, that the size D thread on the overwrap looks bulky to me. Will size A work on my next rod - Perigee 120 2L rated up to 30lb test, and I will probably never go over 20? To quote AG, "It's a fishing tool first". Beauty is as beauty does, so if A won't hold up, I don't want to do it.

AL - I'm new at this so I don't see how "A" is stronger than "D"

In the thread catalog Nylon is 2.7 Lbs

"D" Nylon is 7.4 Lbs

Anyway a local rod building supply shop told me never use "A" on the over wraps it's not strong enough "C" would be the choice.....Hmmmm

As if I'm not already confused enough!

Taking the advice of a senior and well-respected rod builder smile.gif, I used a double over wrap of A thread on a heavy surf rod which turned out really well. I did one wrap thinly finished it and then put another wrap of A thread on.

One advantage with this is that you can use the second wrap to cover over any stubborn gaps in the first over wrap. I also suspect it is stronger that a single wrap of D thread in light of much greater number of threads per length of rod foot.

It's worked very well with this rod which I have put to some heavy use.

Tight lines.

Tom

Size A is stronger not because of the tensile strength, but rather because you wrap more threads per length. Try this experiment, wrap one of the sections of your finger with thick twine and another with dental floss and see which one constricts your finger more

Pastormarty: I agree with Al. Use "A" as an overwrap but be sure to apply finish to the underwrap first. Also make sure that the guide feet are nice and smooth without a sharp incline. Since I saw Al do this and he explained why, I will never use "D" again. My overwraps now look like tape instead of thread. John

Bummy,

Maybe we should hold a rodbuilding seminar just for SOL members in the MidAtantic region. Southern, NJ, Maryland or Delaware?

Then we could show them all these nifty tricks we know after a lifetime of doing this stuff.

Al

P.S. I double wrap with size A thread on all my offshore rods up to 80#. For the 130's and unlimited I add another wrap of A thread.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 01-24-2003).]

John,

One "A" overwrap and lose the underwraps. I think Al will tell you that he always underwraps, but he's got customers to please. Unless your building a heavy boat rod(30lb and up), lose the underwraps, but be a perfectionist on shaping and polishing your guide feet.

Oz,

Thanks for the info. It's a redo of a rod that had underwraps so I'll probably do them again for cosmetic reasons. Loosing the underwraps will save a lot of time in the future.