Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Reel seats

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Salt,

It's a matter of personal preference. I like to mount my seats downlocking, threads toward the tip. The advantages are that my fingers do not touch the threads or nut when I hold the reel, thus preventing the nut from loosening up. In addition, The amount of torque placed on the rear hood can be significant when fighting a good fish and could result in loosening the hood. By mounting it downlocking it prevents this from happening.

Al

Dear Al:

Thanks for your help yesterday on the 132 M lamiglass addition of the reel seat.

So you would recommend a "downlock" on a this spinner too?

Also when you measure from the butt to the bottom (formerly the top) of the reelseat this would alter the actual distance from Butt to reel stem as compared to traditional up locking set ups - say 3" vs 5."

This being the case should we measure from butt to reel stem and then back out how we set up our seats from there?

I know you have done some great GSB 1201ls in spinning for some of the guys on the board - how did they have it done?

When is that rodbuilder seminar again?

Thanks again.

T88

T88,

As you correctly pointed out you want the proper distance from the reelstem to the end of the butt. By mounting the seat downlocking you have effectively shortened the distance by approximately 2 inches. Just compensate for that change.

The seminar is Saturday, February 9th. I will send you the info.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 12-19-2001).]