Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Spiral wrap for casting rods

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Al Goldberg showed me a rod at the Freeport show that he'd built for casting with a spiral wrap. I asked if the wrap didn't cause friction and line slap, and he said no, not if you get the wrap right. Another question about spiral wrapped rods: do you need to start and end the wrap at any particular place on the spine to avoid having the blank twist during the cast? .... This one really begs for some high speed photography, I wonder what a carefully marked rod blank would show, in terms of twisting and untwisting, as it unloads during the cast.

do you need to start and end the wrap at any particular place on the spine to avoid having the blank twist during the cast? ....

BM - this is the one issue I see with a spiral surf rod. TEH exact problem with fighting the fish, torque, will be solved, but the torque will end up being there on the cast. I pointed this out a couple of earsa go, nobody had an answer then, I bet nobody has come up with an answer (or even noticed) yet.

I tested the seveal spiral setups on both 132 1L and 136 4M Lamis. After resetting the guides and tip after each and every cast(they whip around the blank especially the tip), I came to the conclusion that there is just too much torque produced when casting 5 to ten ounces.

IMHO, not test casting a custom rod is like having a Doctor who got his MD through a correspondence course, perform cardiac bypass on you.

Your mileage may vary,

gad

Brian,

The benifit of spiral wrap on a heavy casting rod is questionable for me. I know the freshwater baitcasters do very well with spiral rods. But as gadballs mentioned, the type of power generated with a surf stick scares me a little with spral wrapped guides. Knot passage was the other reason I never bothered spiral wrapping a surf stick. For boat rods, spiral is the only way I build them.

Is there any benefit - never mind the lack of a drawback, but is there an actual benefit - to a spiral wrap in casting tackle of any kind? Even if it's a lighter casting blank .... I mean, how many sweetwater fish do we catch that need a belt?