Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kroc

What can your rod "really" throw

Rate this topic

240 posts in this topic

[quote name="Pendulauncher" url="/t/906170/what-can-your-rod-really-throw/30#post_10510634"

What size and type of soft plastics are you throwing?

The smaller tsunami shads, vision surf eels, sluggos ect..

Odd kanseah I throw 4oz plus rubber with my tfo at the ditch with no problem :). I haven't thrown a plug tho that is more than 3oz, but I just picked up some 3 1/2oz guppy's so ill see how it goes next time I'm out.

Jigging != popping. I can see his point, the tfo is just not a great rod for working topwater due to a pretty stiff tip. While it'll throw 4 and 5 oz no problem one must consider what lures specifically as well. I used mine to jig at the ditch up to 5 oz and found it handled very well. I was able to sweep the jig up rapidly to avoid snags and have a high rate of response due to the stiffness of the tip. A more moderate rod wouldn't be as ideal for jigging just as the stiff tfo wouldn't be ideal for pencil popping.

A quick tip on that guppy, you probably won't like it. It's a wide wide plug and though it loads well on the rod it doesn't cast very well. The 2 3/4 guppy with the tfo is a magic missile. Compare for yourself and see :)

I am currently using a Temple Forks Outfitters Tactical Surf Rod, 10' 6", rated at 2-8 oz. I am using this rod strictly for throwing plugs for Giant Trevally here in Hawaii. This is a WONDERFUL rod, very-light, extreme fighting ability in bringing in fish, and with the 2-3 oz plugs, I bomb them out regularly between 80 - 120 yards.

The only draw back and major concern of mine is the actual lure weight in being able to use effectively with this rod. 3 oz MAX this rod, sure it throws a 4 out plenty far, yet to actually work the lure correctly, presenting the action it was intended for is a no go. Again love the rod yet based on the 'Effectiveness' or ability to work the popper correctly at a heavier weight has me concerned and looking towards purchasing another rod. 

A friend suggested to me to look into a United Composites rod, I don't recall the series or specs of the Rod which he suggested and he himself uses, yet with frequency if not always, he is throwing out the 4-5 oz range plugs for Trevally. Oddly enough, the only rod which has been true to the weight rating that I own, was a Breakaway rod, which I believe the blanks were years ago made by All Star. All around good rod. 

Any suggestions on a rod would be appreciated, again Love the TFO rod, hell would even recommend it, yet for the range that I need it just does not suit me

If you have any of the old breakaway rods on all star blanks and would consider selling, let me know.

[quote name="Pendulauncher" url="/t/906170/what-can-your-rod-really-throw/30#post_10510634"

What size and type of soft plastics are you throwing?

The smaller tsunami shads, vision surf eels, sluggos ect..

In the next few days, I'll see if I can take both rods out to a lake and see how they perform. Unfortunately, the only Tsunamis I have are larger....about 7", with the lead molded in. I have 6" sluggos. I'll fish around my tackle bags for other soft plastics that are under an ounce. I've got lots of curly-tail grubs----Sea Strikers and the like, 4" to 5", so add a jig head and get to slingin'.

Here's my findings off stuff I own.

Breakaway 1209: up to 8, shines with a 6 oz.

Mojo surf 10'6" spinner: 2-4, nothing more though. (Used primarily for slinging metals)

Tica surge 7': throws up to 3 oz well.

St croix premier surf 7: throws up to 2 oz, found that's the perfect weight.

Well I know this isn't a surfcasting rod, but my ABU vendetta 6.6 ft medium fast action is rated 3/8 to 5/8, but it handles 3/8 really well, handles 5/8 just super and flings 3/4 super also. However anything lighter than 3/8 or heavier than 3/4 it's the damned pits.

1/4 doesn't go anywhere and backlashes if you don't tighten the tension knob way too right, and 1oz makes the rod feel like spaghetti.

Joker are you an IT guy?

!= is not often used outside of C and Java and the like :)

No but I did dabble in some programming a few years ago :)

Sorry for the off topic!

Joker,

the != gives it away...

I don't know of (m)any people at all outside of IT and programming that know that != means "does not equal". Even in mathematics the symbol is different, an = with a forward slash through it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunt for blueessss View Post

Definitely an interesting thread. I now only fish with custom rods (since I learned how to build my own) so I haven't really pushed the limits of any I build BUT I do know that

Century Slingshot 1265 - 10'6 1-3 oz

I fish a pretty consistent 2-4 oz comfortably and have for the earlier part of the season. It's handled nights with eels up to 5.5-6 oz. This rod may break for throwing so much, but it has a legit 70-80 hours of eeling, and about equal of being used with 2 oz pencils and fighting fish. I don't like fishing 1 oz bucktails with it tho. Not sensitive enough for me. I'd say it shines at 1.5-2.5 oz tho

I have the same rod and i'm surprised you are throwing such heavy stuff with it...I fish a lot of SP Minnow type lures within 1 - 1.5 oz range and I always thought it did ok but it really did well with 2 oz lures. I'm a novice anyways so what do I know but i'll throwing heavier stuff and see it feels.

Definitely an interesting thread. I now only fish with custom rods (since I learned how to build my own) so I haven't really pushed the limits of any I build BUT I do know that

Century Slingshot 1265 - 10'6 1-3 oz

I fish a pretty consistent 2-4 oz comfortably and have for the earlier part of the season. It's handled nights with eels up to 5.5-6 oz. This rod may break for throwing so much, but it has a legit 70-80 hours of eeling, and about equal of being used with 2 oz pencils and fighting fish. I don't like fishing 1 oz bucktails with it tho. Not sensitive enough for me. I'd say it shines at 1.5-2.5 oz tho

Can you please post pictures of a 5.5-6oz eel that thing has to be way over 24" long. I special order big eels that 5-6 to a pound instead of the normal 8-10 to a pound. At 5 eels to a pound they are just over 3 oz so I'd really like to see how big these snakes your throwing are. Thanks