Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kroc

What can your rod "really" throw

Rate this topic

240 posts in this topic

With rods rated like 1-3 or 2-4 OK, but with rods rated 1-5 or 2-6, i haven't found any that can throw the one ounce like it can the 3/1/2 or the two ounce like the 4 ounce . I have tried some that can effectively throw their listed range but there is always a sweet spot range that a rod does best and outside of that it falls off, some far more than others.

With rods rated like 1-3 or 2-4 OK, but with rods rated 1-5 or 2-6, i haven't found any that can throw the one ounce like it can the 3/1/2 or the two ounce like the 4 ounce . I have tried some that can effectively throw their listed range but there is always a sweet spot range that a rod does best and outside of that it falls off, some far more than others.

Thats a good point. No rod should have more than a 3oz. range. This would make ratings a lot more accurate.

Well yeah and that's the nature of the beast. There is always a mid spot of perfect load but my point is why would anyone want a rod with a narrow range of 1-3 that might throw a 1/2 oz more up and down! and a sweet spot of 2oz. The wide weight range of the Lamiglas GSB1321M is one reason this rod is so popular. I agree with what your saying somewhat! what your saying is common sense.. All rods have a sweet spot and up and down of that is less effective but some rods have wide ranges and as I said above it's all about the design.

I fished All Stars for years and the SW1266 would carry it's full range. I could use 3/4 or 4oz and it would do it and do it pretty well just by it's design. It had it's sweet spot but would not be an effort to cast up or down of that!! Just that rod alone would be enough to use all year long.. I did it so I know!! I also know rods rated way off by nearly 1 1/2 to 2oz and the funny thing is it's popular rod that people say they love! Yet go over what should be it's mid point of the rating and the rod just gives up. So.. it's all just about the design!!

<br />

I was pleasantly surprised to see my picture on the front page of SOL. It was taken during my casting legend with Ron Arra. I was using my St. Croix Legend 10'6" 3/4-4oz. This is truly a fantastic rod and exceptionally well suited to Ron's casting style. I was casting a Super Strike little neck popper 23/4oz, when the picture was taken.

The rod loads and casts well at 1oz. I fell the sweet spot is 2-3oz. Its power is not falling off at 3oz and would cast heavier though I have only cast 1-3oz with the rod.

Greg

had a 3 piece Tsunami travel rod. i think it was rated for 2-4 ounces or something. First time it was my fault. i had way too much on. Second time, i had a one ounce jig. garbage rod!

I find the most difficult aspect of rod selection is trying to throw light lures with a rod 9' or more. It seems to effectively throw 1/2 -3/4 oz. lures, you really need to go down to a 7-8 ft. rod. The problem is say you want to throw an ava 27 and then switch to a light soft plastic lure, you really need a different rod. This becomes a problem when you are plugging and walking considerable distances and can't switch rods. I have a 9' St. Croix Triumph rated 1/2 - 2/12oz. This rod doesn't really load under 1oz. very well.

I have 2 made in USA one pice 10' Shakespeare ugly stik rods custom made at Causeway bait & Tackle (spinning) and I throw 3oz plugs and Kastmasters and 2.5 oz northbar plastic darter plugs with superb ease while able to lift fish off the rocks without worrying to break the tips on them. And they are surprisingly light for being ugly stiks !! Also I use 65Lb on one with VS200, and 30LB on the other with van staal VM150. And I DO get ice distance !

My pet stick is an Arra 1322 built as a conventional rod with a trigger grip, which is what I like. 2-4 oz. is nice, 2.5 to 3.0 is the sweet spot. Spinning reels are preferable for tossing one ounce plugs, or lighter, but even with a spinning configuration I don't think I;d like this rod for floating minnows and such. Ron Arra tosses heavy stuff, 4 and 5 oz loads, on this blank, but I think he's using the one he shortened on a chandelier years ago to do it. I must take the 120-1M down to the water and see how it compares, I have a notion it's better for light loads (even as a conventional) and probably tops out at a lower level.

Okuma Solaris 10' casting rod does good at 4-6 oz's of weight, it is rated up to 8, but a lot of people say that it means no more than 8 including your bait. I have taken the advice and keep under 8 and had no problems with the rod.

I find the most difficult aspect of rod selection is trying to throw light lures with a rod 9' or more. It seems to effectively throw 1/2 -3/4 oz. lures, you really need to go down to a 7-8 ft. rod. The problem is say you want to throw an ava 27 and then switch to a light soft plastic lure, you really need a different rod. This becomes a problem when you are plugging and walking considerable distances and can't switch rods. I have a 9' St. Croix Triumph rated 1/2 - 2/12oz. This rod doesn't really load under 1oz. very well.

It may be time to consider a salmon / steelhead spinning rod or a slower taper "surf" spinning rod from 8'6" to 9'6". St. Croix, Lami, and others offer several salmon / steelhead models that could potentially fit the bill. Hopefully a shop in your area has a few you can handle on site.

Maybe the Lami G1311 8'6" Med. Heavy, 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz. Or if you want to severely over pay, the Loomis IMX 1084-2S SUR 9' Medium, 1/2 to 3 oz., is another option. Either will throw 1/2 oz plugs reasonably well. On the upper end (with casting spoons), the 1311 will throw 1 1/2, even 2 oz., while the IMX will handle 3 oz.

What size and type of soft plastics are you throwing?

And HELL NO, I didn't pay $400 or so for that IMX. Garage sale....about $125, I think.

I am currently using a Temple Forks Outfitters Tactical Surf Rod, 10' 6", rated at 2-8 oz. I am using this rod strictly for throwing plugs for Giant Trevally here in Hawaii. This is a WONDERFUL rod, very-light, extreme fighting ability in bringing in fish, and with the 2-3 oz plugs, I bomb them out regularly between 80 - 120 yards.

The only draw back and major concern of mine is the actual lure weight in being able to use effectively with this rod. 3 oz MAX this rod, sure it throws a 4 out plenty far, yet to actually work the lure correctly, presenting the action it was intended for is a no go. Again love the rod yet based on the 'Effectiveness' or ability to work the popper correctly at a heavier weight has me concerned and looking towards purchasing another rod. 

A friend suggested to me to look into a United Composites rod, I don't recall the series or specs of the Rod which he suggested and he himself uses, yet with frequency if not always, he is throwing out the 4-5 oz range plugs for Trevally. Oddly enough, the only rod which has been true to the weight rating that I own, was a Breakaway rod, which I believe the blanks were years ago made by All Star. All around good rod. 

Any suggestions on a rod would be appreciated, again Love the TFO rod, hell would even recommend it, yet for the range that I need it just does not suit me

Odd kanseah I throw 4oz plus rubber with my tfo at the ditch with no problem :). I haven't thrown a plug tho that is more than 3oz, but I just picked up some 3 1/2oz guppy's so ill see how it goes next time I'm out.

I have a 7.5' BPS store brand (feel free to laugh) rated 1/2 - 2ozs. I am very happy with it. It flings 3/4 - 2.5 ozs very well, lobs 3 w/no fear of it snapping. The pole has pulled 20lb bass onto a jetty, and 3ft blues out of strong currents, with ease. I am more afraid of my reel crapping out or the line snapping, than this rod breaking. 

Best $30 I ever spent.

(so far....only been using it since March)

No need to laugh, bps makes great freshwater rods, and they're starting to dip into saltwater with some success.

I have a 7' goldcup inshore from bps, rated 1/2-2 oz- which is dead on.

10'6" TFO 2-8oz, more like 1.5 to 5

Okuma Solaris 10' rated 3-8 oz- perfectly capable- sweetspot is 3-4 oz, and 7 oz is the most I've thrown- no problems.