Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kroc

What can your rod "really" throw

Rate this topic

240 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurfCat View Post

My 12ft ugly stik big water spinning rod's sweet spot seems to be 6oz. It can hit 120yds measured off on a soccer field using a ground cast. It is said to be able to cast 12oz, but at that point it is more of a lob then an actually cast.  

hehe, yeah with 12 oz, might want to spin around and around a few times like a hammer throw :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kroc View Post

I was just trying to make a point that the rod is way over rated.

Is the 11ft. rod a Daiwa as well? As someone else pointed out Daiwa rod ratings can be way off.

My 11fter is a lamiglas. I am not afraid of it breaking, I just don't think it does a good job over 4oz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livefreeordie View Post

I have a 7.5' BPS store brand (feel free to laugh) rated 1/2 - 2ozs. I am very happy with it. It flings 3/4 - 2.5 ozs very well, lobs 3 w/no fear of it snapping. The pole has pulled 20lb bass onto a jetty, and 3ft blues out of strong currents, with ease. I am more afraid of my reel crapping out or the line snapping, than this rod breaking. 

Best $30 I ever spent.

(so far....only been using it since March)

I am not going to laugh. One of my favorite freshwater rods was half of a walmart R2F Ultralight combo....I am sure I just got a lucky rod, but it's fantastic....tossed a $20 daiwa spinning reel on it and it's been great, and lots of fun to fish. It makes me want to invest in a really nice longer L or UL rod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squished View Post

Mine throws my back out, never fails.

I think you need a finesse rod rather than a muscle rod...Something that loads up really well without having to heave it.

I am pretty sure ccnashman would have some good recommendations for this kinda rod.

I got a buddy who fishes the G Loomis 132 5 3/4 to 5 oz and he can throw anything. Another buddy has got the 10 6 st croix legend and he can throw an sp minnow a mile as well as the heavier jigs fairly far. 

So...My budget last year allowed me to I by a 10' Mojo 1-4 and I have to admit that even though I love the rods fighting ablility it just doesnt cut it as far as ratings. Its too stiff for the sp minnow to get out too far but really shines (for a 10') throwing some super strike lures like the 2 3/4 popper and the needlefish. 

This is a weird topic because some dude over at red top in Buzzards Bay completely crapped on the Loomis IMX to my friend, he even went as far as to say the rating wasnt accurate and that one of the several problems was in how the rod handled 'landing a fish.' I wouldnt have believed it if I hadnt been standing right there and asked the dude myself if he had ever thrown one.

My heart is on the Century 1327 slingshot perhaps even used but that budget has me stuck on Mojo for maybe the full 5 year warranty. Any word on how they stack up ratings wise?

1327 FSC MTK rated 1-5 and throws can throw 3/4 ok and 1oz no problem and goes to 6oz. easy! Has become my go to over the 1266 and 1386.

Yes sir. This is an amazing rod to my opinion.

I've got a lami XS 1061 PP rated 1-4. Fantastic rod that performs well in its range. It has a lot of backbone and really fights a fish. I use it for fishing in current around bridges and most of my daytime fishing in the spring.

I just bought a Lami Surf King 10' rated 3-8 spinning but i feel like it has the exact same amount of backbone my PP has. It throws about the same spectrum as the PP but maybe tops out at 5. I wouldn't wanna load into a 6 ounce bucktail I'm sure I'd hear a loud crackle.

Lastly I've got a Ron Arra rated 3/8-2-1/4. Thing is real moderate and requires a much different casting stroke to achieve distance. With this rod less is more. It really shines up to 1-1/2 but you can easily get a 2-1/2 ounce metal lip ou there if needed. Has suprisng backbone as I was able to muscle a 20 pound bass off the jetties just recently while fluking. All great Rods but I think I'm gonna sell the surf king for something with a little more power.

Seems like the St. Croix rods are under-rated, which is the opposite of most rods.

I have a 9' Triumph rated 1/2 - 2 1/2oz. This rod easily throws 2oz. and anything under 1oz. it doesn't perform as well. Thought it would be great to throw something like a vision surf eel, but I expected a little more distance than I'm getting.

Casting

11 ft Lami XS11 MHC

- rated 3 - 8 oz. It throws 2 - 5 oz. well, but I've thrown 8 'n bait. IT IS NOT an 8 'n bait rod.

13 ft Century G5 Supa Sport

- rated 150 gram (about 5 1/4 oz.) and up. I've never tried 5 oz. I throws 6 and 8 oz. FAR, but doesn't really begin to load until 10 oz. It throws 12 oz. a loooong way, without a hiccup. I have some 16 oz bank sinkers, but haven't toss 'em yet. I use the rod for 10 to 12 oz & bait, and have no doubt it'll do 16 plus bait.

10 ft St. Croix Ben Doerr

- rated up to 3 oz. I think that's dead on. It throws 1 1/2 to 3 oz. well, but the sweet spot for chuckin' metal is about 2 oz. It flat out smokes a 2 oz. lead spoon. I think I soft lobbed 4 'n bait once, out of necessity.

Spinning

11' 6" St. Croix Premier

- rated 3 to 6 oz. I haven't thrown lighter than 4 oz. It handles 5 & 6 oz. really well, and I know it would handle 8 oz.

11 ft Dale Clemens custom ( Lami )

- rated 1 to 4 oz. I like 2 to 4 oz. I'm pretty sure I've also thrown 5 oz. without issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twilson615 View Post

I got a buddy who fishes the G Loomis 132 5 3/4 to 5 oz and he can throw anything. Another buddy has got the 10 6 st croix legend and he can throw an sp minnow a mile as well as the heavier jigs fairly far. 

So...My budget last year allowed me to I by a 10' Mojo 1-4 and I have to admit that even though I love the rods fighting ablility it just doesnt cut it as far as ratings. Its too stiff for the sp minnow to get out too far but really shines (for a 10') throwing some super strike lures like the 2 3/4 popper and the needlefish. 

This is a weird topic because some dude over at red top in Buzzards Bay completely crapped on the Loomis IMX to my friend, he even went as far as to say the rating wasnt accurate and that one of the several problems was in how the rod handled 'landing a fish.' I wouldnt have believed it if I hadnt been standing right there and asked the dude myself if he had ever thrown one.

My heart is on the Century 1327 slingshot perhaps even used but that budget has me stuck on Mojo for maybe the full 5 year warranty. Any word on how they stack up ratings wise?

I have the Century 1327 and have fished it from 1 oz to 3 oz. ( rated 2 - 5 ). I wanted the fighting power not necessarily the distance....but you will get distance no problem.

Throws a DSPM as well as my lighter Century SS's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeGBreezy View Post

I have the Century 1327 and have fished it from 1 oz to 3 oz. ( rated 2 - 5 ). I wanted the fighting power not necessarily the distance....but you will get distance no problem.

Throws a DSPM as well as my lighter Century SS's.

my concern has been if it will throw up from the sp  to a 5 oz jig comfortably? I love my mojo but its just not going to be a go to rod...as surfmaster said he likes the way his throws 6 but im not going to do that all day.

ill try to get a shot at casting one before i commit but if it can compete evenly with a loomis i will buy one no question. but distance is paramount as well as being able to get a nice fish in. 

No rod will throw it's entire range great , there's always a compromise no matter what anyone says , if distance is your goal go at least eleven and twelve feet is more like it , you also need to choose your line wisely and match it up to a distance specific reel that takes advantage of the rods layout.

Of course distance to some is 100 yards, for others 150+ is more like it.

No rod will throw it's entire range great , there's always a compromise no matter what anyone says ,

That's pretty much true but notice how many rods have narrow ratings today? It's all the designer knowing taper and how to get progressive loading and use sections of the rod for the weight range your throwing. Most all blanks will load progressive but not all will load progressive through the weight range. Many just run out of ass before getting to the top and you get that flop over feel during the cast. I can name several off the top of my head ! But yes there are compromises with everything!!