Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kroc

What can your rod "really" throw

Rate this topic

239 posts in this topic

I travel to Queensland, AUS about 4 times a year on business and have had the opportunity to get on the beach with some serious surf fishers.  These guys swear by the Alvey and can produce beautiful cast, i just can't get the hang of it.  I'll stick with my HDX Breakaway and Penn 525 Mag combo.  BTW 6oz and a chunk of bait seems to be the sweet spot for me on that combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheless View Post

I travel to Queensland, AUS about 4 times a year on business and have had the opportunity to get on the beach with some serious surf fishers.  These guys swear by the Alvey and can produce beautiful cast, i just can't get the hang of it.  I'll stick with my HDX Breakaway and Penn 525 Mag combo.  BTW 6oz and a chunk of bait seems to be the sweet spot for me on that combo.

damn! thats awesome. i want to do what you do for a career!!! id love to get out there to AUS

Trust me it ain't all gravy, but it has it's moments. I live in NC, 20 plus hours in an airplane to Sydney is brutal. The first trip was cool, the next trip OK, now it's getting old, but it pays for my fishing addiction!!! Tight Lines.

My rods can throw 6 to 16 0oz. St Croix 12 foot i usually throw bunker heads with a 8oz sinker and the rod can handle way more. All my Rods can handle big bait i believe i can throw 16 to 20 oz sinker if i wanted too without bait. St Croix rods really stand up to surf fishing with bait. I don't take any pitty on my rods i will throw a sinker alone over 700 feet with no problem. Rods is very inportant so i want the best so it don't break and hurt me.

My nicest rod is a custom my dad hade made for me & throws 2.5 -3oz great. My bait rods are nothing special, but will throw enough to put me into productive water in some ****** conditions. If I had nicer bait rods I'd probably fish in even ****tier than ****** conditions, so I'll leave it at that.

just tested older loomis surf series 1264  rated 1-3 oz   threw 2.5 oz ranger whistler great      then threw same ranger w tsunami airwave 9ft rated 1-3 oz and it was way overloaded feeling   the loomis was 10 ft 6     pretty disappointed w airwave rating  

I've been using a St. Croix 9" rated 3/4-4oz w/ 2 oz bucktails, SP minnows, 2oz pencil poppers and used it for chunking. I've packed a hook with at least 4-5 oz of clams and casted quite the distance. I was to afraid to power cast it, seeing that my rod is already bending. :) Sure it's not recommend and I do not have a second setup for bait. As long as you're careful, cast away!

On 18.8.2013. at 9:18 PM, jimmy z said:

Daiwa rods are known to be not on point with their ratings. I don't look at ratings anymore. I pick up a rod or blank and just know what it can do. smile.gif

talk about those, I am in dilemma if and what this new daiwa seahunter surf rod 2019 can really do. Because it is rated up to 8 oz. and I would need it to go up to 16..

7 hours ago, glos said:

talk about those, I am in dilemma if and what this new daiwa seahunter surf rod 2019 can really do. Because it is rated up to 8 oz. and I would need it to go up to 16..

I'm not familiar with the seahunter rod. But some of the Daiwa rods, especially the Sealine X, are rated to 6ozs. There is no way that rod could throw a 6 oz tin. 

I suggest you do some deeper research on that rod. Throwing 16 ozs is a tall order 

7 hours ago, glos said:

I would start looking into casting rods rated to 16 oz if you want to even get close to casting that weight. Lami is my first choice and And mine are one piece rods.  I also own st croix two piece rated to 16 my mojo has seen lots of action has many fish from stripers to sharks it casts very well in my opinion. The mojo is always in the car just in case the wind changed or you know I can sneak out it has taken lots of abuse and is a good rod. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

yea, I thought so, so I bought three 11 ft. 8 - 12 oz. ( 320 cm, 150 - 300 gr. ) ron thompson tyran catfish rods ( 100 $ a piece )

gonna use all  it can give, and those can, I know from experience with ron thompson rods

gonna buy those fancy daiwas later, for lighter aplications.

Edited by glos

Didnt bought those ron rods after all, reserved them upon claim that they have 3 in stock, just to hear day after that they have 2

Bought and have in my hands Maver adventure siluro storione surf rods

4 meters long, travel, colapsable, 200 - 400 grams cw

2 of those, bcs there wasnt 3, also, there

but ok, my beach pod holds two anyway.