What can your rod "really" throw

Rate this topic

kroc

Yeah I've seen his review and Lou carsuos review but I've seen conflicting lure weight limits for the 9'6. Bimini bay's website saysit3/4-4 butthe rods in the reviews say to 3 1/2. I know they had one of the earlier produced rods and am wondering if it since has changed, if it's a mistake or what the deal is

sabre 1087- can throw 1/2 jig head with plastic up to a super strike darter (2-3/8oz), good for bombers but shines with an sp minnow or heavy 5"SS needle (1.7oz).

rainshadow 1088 picks up where the 1087 leaves off. low end bombers 7/8 swimmers (mega baits). Will throw 3.5oz bucktails. Sweet spot is a SS darter or habs 7".

all star 1088 conventional- similar to rain shadow, but stiffer and better with heavier jigs (3 oz tsunami shad).

All star 1265- bombers to SS darter. 2 oz metal ideal.

Loomis 1142- 1/2oz to 2oz. 7/8 to 1oz. ideal.

No more skunks. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you been gone a long time. 

• 2 weeks later...
interested in knowing if anyone knows the rating for the Lamiglass 120 1L. I can effectively throw a 3/4oz dressed bucktail and also throw a 2 3/8 oz SS needle. Seems very versatile to me.

John Skinner and other seems to throw everything from 3/4 oz Bucktails to 20 inch eels with that blank so I'd say it will be effective for what you are looking to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilCVG View Post

John Skinner and other seems to throw everything from 3/4 oz Bucktails to 20 inch eels with that blank so I'd say it will be effective for what you are looking to do.

yeah I was very surprised when i first threw a 3/4oz and the rod loaded well. Very happy with this blank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishooks View Post

Anybody have a 10'6" 3/4-4 mojo and can tell me what it really throws?

I've used the mojo to cast AVA 27 (3 oz) ..no problem.  It  also casts super strike heavy needles (3 oz) very well.  The past two years I clocked hundreds of hours on that rod.  As far as the lower end I don't think it does as well as a 8 foot rod.  I think its best range is probably about 1 to 3 oz.  I have some hours using a 4 oz T-HEX on that rod, no issues.  The rod really isn't made for anything over 4 oz for sure.   Just make sure the rod sections are clean and tight and all will be ok.  Mine is so tight now I'm not taking it apart.

smile.gif

I use a St Croix tsrs 100 m4 ,a saltist 4500h with power pro 8 slick. I love the rod and have just recently in a four day period ,caught several Large jacks and a Rooster from the beach. A Roberts Ranger or a 2 oz jig cast about 100 yards. Not huge distance but far enough and you can cast all day without getting to fatigued when casting from a panga into the back of the surf.

The rod also has replacement tips available for just 50 bucks delivered to your door.

Our prime purpose in life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them...Dalai Lama