Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kroc

What can your rod "really" throw

Rate this topic

239 posts in this topic

Got this idea from another thread, but thought I'd start a thread where you mention a rod's rating and then what it can really handle in your experience. I'll start it off.

Daiwa: Team Daiwa 9' spinning surf rod rated at 1-5oz. This rod really shines in the 1-3oz. range. 2oz. would be the sweet spot. Can't really throw under 1oz. too well and 4oz. or more forget about it unless you want a broken rod.

PS: Feel free to include spinning or conventional (casting) rods.

Definitely an interesting thread. I now only fish with custom rods (since I learned how to build my own) so I haven't really pushed the limits of any I build BUT I do know that

Century Slingshot 1265 - 10'6 1-3 oz

I fish a pretty consistent 2-4 oz comfortably and have for the earlier part of the season. It's handled nights with eels up to 5.5-6 oz. This rod may break for throwing so much, but it has a legit 70-80 hours of eeling, and about equal of being used with 2 oz pencils and fighting fish. I don't like fishing 1 oz bucktails with it tho. Not sensitive enough for me. I'd say it shines at 1.5-2.5 oz tho

Quote:

Originally Posted by kroc View Post

Got this idea from another thread, but thought I'd start a thread where you mention a rod's rating and then what it can really handle in your experience. I'll start it off.

Daiwa: Team Daiwa 9' spinning surf rod rated at 1-5oz. This rod really shines in the 1-3oz. range. 2oz. would be the sweet spot. Can't really throw under 1oz. too well and 4oz. or more forget about it unless you want a broken rod.

PS: Feel free to include spinning or conventional (casting) rods.

How do you know it's going to break your rod, and are you just trying to muscle it? Not all rods are designed to be muscled.

That said I have a 11ft 3-8oz that I am not comfortable tossing more than 4oz on it. 2.5 - 4oz seems to be just right and 3oz is the sweet spot for me for that rod.

Daiwa rods are known to be not on point with their ratings. I don't look at ratings anymore. I pick up a rod or blank and just know what it can do. smile.gif

My 12ft ugly stik big water spinning rod's sweet spot seems to be 6oz. It can hit 120yds measured off on a soccer field using a ground cast. It is said to be able to cast 12oz, but at that point it is more of a lob then an actually cast.  

I have a 7.5' BPS store brand (feel free to laugh) rated 1/2 - 2ozs. I am very happy with it. It flings 3/4 - 2.5 ozs very well, lobs 3 w/no fear of it snapping. The pole has pulled 20lb bass onto a jetty, and 3ft blues out of strong currents, with ease. I am more afraid of my reel crapping out or the line snapping, than this rod breaking. 

Best $30 I ever spent.

(so far....only been using it since March)

How do you know it's going to break your rod, and are you just trying to muscle it? Not all rods are designed to be muscled.

That said I have a 11ft 3-8oz that I am not comfortable tossing more than 4oz on it. 2.5 - 4oz seems to be just right and 3oz is the sweet spot for me for that rod.

I was just trying to make a point that the rod is way over rated.

Is the 11ft. rod a Daiwa as well? As someone else pointed out Daiwa rod ratings can be way off.

My 12ft ugly stik big water spinning rod's sweet spot seems to be 6oz. It can hit 120yds measured off on a soccer field using a ground cast. It is said to be able to cast 12oz, but at that point it is more of a lob then an actually cast.  

Ugly's have extremely broad ranges like 1-6oz. or 2-12oz. No rod can effectively throw light and heavy weights equally. Some of these ratings are just ridiculous.

Ugly's have extremely broad ranges like 1-6oz. or 2-12oz. No rod can effectively throw light and heavy weights equally. Some of these ratings are just ridiculous.

Ugly sticks can throw 2-12 tho......just not well :)

Last week i used a 9 ft 3/4~4 oz Mojo. Pretty good with a SP Minnow 1 1/9 oz, great with a 1 1/2 oz surface tension, 1 1/2 oz SS popper & 1 1/2 oz Pogee & OK with a 2 3/8 oz SS popper, wouldn't go any higher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunt for blueessss View Post

Ugly sticks can throw 2-12 tho......just not well smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kroc View Post

Yeah, I think they take the cake in terms of overstatments. When I cast anything around the 12oz end of the ratings the rod tip is still almost pointing down when I hit the 12 o'clock position with the handle. LOL

It gets the job done for what I use it for and thats all that matters in the end.

It has been a great advise to go to your local B&T and ask to test the rod before you purchase. Most will let you take the rod for a "test drive". I recently purchased a rod that I wanted to throw up to 5 oz. I took several casts with the rod I was testing with a 4oz jig head and a 13" hogy, before I bought the rod.

11' S2 2-5 - 3oz seems to be the sweet spot so far. I'm sure 4-5 is there but I don't have much that heavy.

9' Mojo 3/4-4 - 3oz easily but sweet spot is 2-2.5oz. Throws light stuff well also when bucktailing for fluke but I'm looking for a better setup for this.

12' Mojo 6-16 - 8-10oz w/bait is sweet. Rod is capable of throwing much more but why?

6"6' Cabela's 1/8-1/2 - My FW or snapper rod for throwing light tins