Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JAL

Cork Tape

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Need a little help (or hints) in using cork tape for the butt grip...

How do I determine how many feet of tape would be required for a rod?

Installation hints to keep the edges nice and tight without gaps?

Do you start at the reel seat and work towards to butt... or start at the butt and work towards the reel seat?

Many thanks in advance!

An old "allowance" ratio I seem to recall as being 3 feet of tape per 1 foot of blank, but I've always bought either 50 or 100 foot rolls and never have paid that much attention on that one, I'm afraid. There's a treasure trove of tape application posts right here on Al's forum; really worth doing a search of the older threads as there's loads of info already right at hand.

You can work it from either end, but many (as do I) start at the butt and work forward. With a little luck and some judicious component selections, it's usually possible to then snug the reel seat down over the slightly feathered off forward end of the tape and eliminate any thread (or other) dressings at the lower reel seat / cork tape junction.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 08-22-2001).]

Thanks for the reply Bill...

I've tried the "search" function for "cork" and "cork tape"... I'm coming up empty. Not sure what's going on. I know there were some threads on this subject, but maybe I've got a little computer gremlin working against me. Anyway, appreciate the help.

Whoops, I think the gremlin is me... Changed some of the search fields and got the info...

[This message has been edited by JAL (edited 08-22-2001).]