Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
labrax

Any opinions on a Fenwick SU1348 blank?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I just got a Fenwick SU 1348 blank. It is a yellow blank. Any idea when this blank would have been produced? Did a Google search on this site and there was one thread back in 2002 - that mentioned the blank would do well with 3-6oz and could do 8 with bait for a lob toss. Does anyone have a rod built on this blank and if so - how do you like it? Can this be set up for spinning or conventional? If you were going set it up for the CC Canal or jetty work would you leave it at 11'2" or would you recommend cutting the blank down? Thanks for your comments.

Pete

The blank was made from the mid -late 70s to the mid-late 80s. Great blank in its day. Still has its place, I would leave it at the orig. length for the CC area. I have built both spinning and conv. on the blank, works great for both

Finchaser and Dick,

Thank you both for your comments. I bought the blank from a widow of a guy that appears to have been quite a fisherman in his day. There were trophys from the early 70's from striped bass tournaments in the basement, and the widow told me that this gentleman was always going to Nauset and catching big stripers. She mentioned that he caught a 60" fish surf fishing down the Cape to win one of the trophys.

If anyone else has any comments, or info I'd love to hear it.

I used many of the old 1388 and 1389's. Your's is similar, just shorter. These blanks were very "springy" and it was easy to cast a long way with them if you let the blank do the work. Very tough and still good blanks for making medium duty surf rods.

Tom,

Thank you for contributing to the thread as well. Looks like this is a decent blank - will build it as a winter project.

I just received some info back from Fenwick. I posted here and wrote them an email directly as well. They were very helpful as well and sent me the specs on the blank from their 1974 catalog I have uploaded the specs for that blank as well as their other 1pc surf blanks from that year. The columns are model, weight, length, action, power and suggested lure weight.

Fenwick1348Specs.jpg

It is a little hard to read due to size restrictions and that I do not have a decent photo editing program on this particular machine.

Thanks everyone!

Pete

Edited to add column headers to pictures