Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason B

Gee, thanks a lot Al!

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Al,

About a month ago I posted a question to you how to make a good fluke rod. I told you I moving form California to the East coast and I was going to be fishing on my brother's boat. I explained that he was mainly a tuna fisherman and fluking was an after-thought. His fluke rods were mainly old cheap rigs not worthy of a barrel at a yard sale. You gave me suggestion of a lamiglas blank and referred me to your article on good fluke set-ups on your site. I followed it to the tee. When I showed up with the new rod on my brother's boat, with the braid line you suggested, my brother and Dad sarcastically smiled. After watching me out fish them because of the ultra sensitivity, they both asked to try it. They both were amazed at the rod's sensitivity, proper grips and ease of using it. They were used to cheap rods with little cork handles. It took me a while to get it back. Well Al, I now have to build both of them one! Thanks a lot!

Jason B

By the way, Is there a rod wrapper that you suggest for someone starting to get serious about building rods. I alreay have a motor and a dryer, I just need a good, solid stand with thread tensioners and I guess wheels.

Thanks

Jason,

I am glad the fluke rod worked out. Nice to know people can appreciated a good rod when they see one. Now you have some idea why I need to hide at the marina, since I constantly get asked by the other fishermen to build them a fluke or bass rod.

As far as a rod wrapper, Clemens Tackle is running a sale on their wrapper which I believe is one of the best around. If you plan on building more than 10-12 rods a year then this is the one to get. Check out www.clemenstackle.com .

If you want something a little less money that has power to wrap, then look at the PacBay Rodsmith.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 09-23-2001).]