Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John E

Recommendations for an Eeling Stick

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Requirements:

1. Nice parabolic action with a soft tip.

2. 11'- one piece

3. Would like the reel seat (trigger) to be no more than a 20mm

4. Prefer graphite but will look at S- or E-glass.

5. Reasonably priced

This will be built for a conventional.

[This message has been edited by John E (edited 04-11-2003).]

Two blanks come to mind immediately---the Lami XRA 1321 and the GSB 132 1L. Not a lot of difference in price--$20-$30 depending on who you get it from. Not sure whether the 1321 takes a 20 or 22 seat. You can still get a trigger seat in size 22---my Lami XRA 1322 has a thicker butt than the 1321 and I have a trigger seat. Believe it's also a size 22.

Another option would be an All Star 1208 fitted with a butt extension. Little faster action than the Lamis but still fairly parabolic.

The only S-glass rod that would probably fit the bill and not wear you out would be the Lami SSB 136 2M.

DJ,

Thanks for the info. I currently have a 1321M for spinning and my intial thought is for something just a little lighter. The 1321M takes a 20 reel seat. For some reason I'm thinking the 1L is a little thicker in the butt (could be wrong). I'll have to get my hands on the Arra to check it out. What about the 1332?

John

Deja vu all over again wink.gif

I have a 1321L w/trigger seat that says Fuji on it 4 times but not the size icon15.gif

IMHO it is an awesome eel stick.

I'll let you know next time I'm on the island if you want to give the rod a toss smile.gif

gad

Gads,

I believe your reel seat is the one with the ring around it at the trigger. As far as I know, Fuji only makes them in a 20 or 22. I could probably get by with the 22 but would prefer the 20. Give me a shout when you're headed my way. Maybe this year will be the year I cast that stick of yours!

I've thrown eels on my 1322 with an Abu 7000C3. But it might be more rod than you need. Depends on whether you're going to be throwing from the beach or around the rocks. From the beach, the 1321 is plenty of rod. I use its little brother, the 1204.

Big difference in cost between the 1322 and 1321, too. I think it's $50+.

Most of the weight in the 1322 is in the butt, so it fishes a lot lighter in your hands than the specs would lead you to believe.

I guess with the 1322, it would be like the old NRA saying---better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it wink.gif

Tough call.

DJ,

It will definately get some jetty work along with a few other areas where you may need that extra backbone. The rating on the 1321 seems a little light for my comfort level. I guess I'll need to do some "ceiling poking" somewhere to get a better handle on the Arra's. My initial thought for the stick was a 1321M but I already know it will give me trouble with some of the smaller eels that are around in the summer. Looks like the 1321L is the best fit so far.

Thanks for the input.

The 11 foot Arra's are great rods. I like the 1322. It seams much more substantial than the 1321 and yet you can still throw eels.

A great eeling rod is the Allstar 1265/2. Its 10.5 feet. You could always glue the 2 pieces at the ferrel but the rods have a great ferrel and insert about 4 inches into each other. Done right , they won't come apart. Anyway , its a great eel stick and is somewhat less money than the Arra 11 footers.

If you got the money , its hard to beat the XRA 1322.

Just to give you a ballpark idea on price: a well-known shop in Freeport wink.gif has the XRA 1321 listed at $194.95, the 1322 at $229.95 and the GSB 132 1L for $164.95.