Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zim

Silk?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

How many of you guys use silk thread? I don't cause to me, it's just too aggravating to work with. A buddy of mine who is one of the best around here, uses nothing but silk. It definitely has a look like nothing else.

DSC00907.JPG

What makes it aggrevating?

It doesn't stretch, so if pressure is relaxed just a bit it easily unravels. It also move out of place easily when making diamonds, chevrons, etc. BUT.. nothing else looks quit like it.

What makes it aggrevating?, just curious. Thanks

No stretch I can deal with. It seems to fray a lot easier than regular thread. I even use a lot of metallic thread with no problems. The guy that does this won't work with metallic for the same reason. I guess it's whatever you're brought up on.

I have tied a few rods with Kinkame brand silk and it's wonderful stuff. The wraps when color preserved and finished actually shine/glow in the sunlight. And the color range is super, I think kinkame has 180 colors and 3 sizes. Ken Mayall has some great data on the different silks out there. Maybe he will chime in with some of his facts. Silk is super but hard to work with.

Bruce

Where is Ken? Kenny, you out there? Helllo...Kenny? lol.

He defiantely did a lot of research on silk threads, I think he has every Silk color chart in the country. lol

Billy, Ken was at the tri state club meeting last night. The guest speaker was a bamboo rod maker form Delaware. I think ken has some bamboo in his very near future. He already has the silk so there is no reason why not. As a matter of fact I see some bamboo in my future too. The guy said he has about 40 culms of usable tonkin and he said we can have it to practice on. It was a great meeting. Silk is great stuff but has a bit of an attitude.

Bruce Fisher

Bruce, a friend of mine was at the meeting, new member Paul R. He's taking the class as well. How many guys do you have showing up to these meetings on a regular basis? I'd love to get something like that around here where we met once a month, held classes, etc. Plus Beef & Beers - !!!!

Ken wraps rods... I thought he just collected Silk? lol. To bad he doesn't post here much, he's a great guy, and his wife is a great Gal (I apologize to her if she reads this, as I forgot her name).

Hey Billy,

Yeah Ken and Cathy are good people and she is one heck of a great cook. Our club has about 100 members but only about 25-35 show up at the meetings. You get the usual suspects that number about 20 then others rotate in and out. When we have picnic's or auctions we can get anywhere from 35-75. Its hard work keeping a club going because most people get tired of the same old stuff. The hardest part is thinking up new demos for the meeting every month. (got any demo idea's for us) The best way to start and keep a club going is to offer classes on rod building and keep the students involved as they prrogress as rod builders. You only need one person and a coffee pot to start a club. The reason I joined this club was because they were not people just trying to get away from the wife for a night. There are some serious builders in the Tri State Club. I have found the motto to be "give the knowledge away free". Ken is a great teacher and a wonderful rod builder and makes fantastics rods. The other members are great people too, some have world records, some have built 1000's of rods, one guy caught a 73lb striper, some just build rods for the heck of it. But we all have something in common even her in this chat room - If you ask for help building a rod you will get it. When this board first started I knew it would turn into something special, it has been a pleasure to be here from the beginning I have learned so much. Bruce Fisher

That's really a lot of members at monthly meetings. I can't see the guys around here making a meeting 3 times per year, let alone every month. I'd love to have something like you guys have around the NY City area - I'm trying, but it's tough to do everything almost on my own (I do have a few guys helping out, which I really fdo appreciate). It's not "my" club though, Im trying to make it each person who's a member's club, all ideas & suggestions & whatever is welcome -it's just that the same 3 of us are coming up with stuff.

Ideas for DEmo's - Ugh, I don't know I'm sure you guys have covered everything, twice. How about "how to argue the Spiral wrap is better than the straight wrap with people on the interenet?" lol.

That's funny we had the age old "does the epoxy add any strength to the wrap" or is the epoxy only there to "protect the wrap" discussion last night. Then that turned in to questions about color preserver and CP thread, another topic that can be great fun. And sometimes we can suck Ben into the spine discussions and that can be super fun but it's getting harder because he is catching on. I try my best to get the guys going its kind of easy when you get new guys all the time. The informal talks we have before the meetings are always fun. I'll tell you the infamous story about the pink wooden red gills sometime. We had a guy come up from Delaware that builds bamboo rods from scratch and he gave the main demo at the last meeting and he did a fantastic job. We only have meetings Oct, Nov, Jan, Feb, March, April, and May. Picnic June and Auction/Dinner November. If more guys knew how much fun these meeting are they would join in a second. And the wealth of knowledge is incredible.

Bruce