Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LIStriper

Lami TS surf rod

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I was looking at a Lami TS series 10' one piece surf rod.

What blank is used for this series?

It looked like and was light like graphite but had glass action.

CSB1201M, I've just has one twirled up conventional. Matched up with an ABU 6501. Great eel, large plug rod.

A little light for chunking. Nice parabolic action.

Jeff

Same blank built by lami.

I picked a one-piece spinner for $120 +tax. It looked like a great deal, I did not like it at all.

It looked like it would of been a great pencil popper rod, IMO is wasn't.

It looked like 1 – 1.5 bucktails would be the perfect for the rod, it was not spectacular by any means.

Metal lips, also a non- spectacular performance.

I am by no means a great caster. However, the rod felt like it was collapsing on the case. There was no snap, no oomph. I was looking for a 10 footer to launch 1 – 1.5-ounce bucktails to Portugal and the price was too good to pass up.

I guess I am back to the usual suspects,

GSB1201L

GSB1321L

ARA1322

ARA1324\ n

Decisions…..decisions.

LI, what didn't you like about it? I haven't fished the newer TriFlex blanks, but I have had a couple in my possession and they seemed responsive.

Bottom line, it's not graphite, it's a composite...and that means a compromise between rocket casts and durability but with an increased range of lure weights. Lami makes plenty of rocket casting weapons...they needed this blend to round out their line smile.gif I like glass but not for plugging, it lacks that rocket nature of fast graphite. I like graphite but it lacks the feel of glass while fighting fish and lacks the glass durability. The Tri-Flex is one of the better compromises between the better properties of glass and graphite...but it ain't an Arra when it comes to distance casting.

TimS

This rod was offered at $149 less 20% on the surface a great deal. It sounded too good, it probably was.

Tim,

No one specific reason. I just did not feel right. Perhaps (likely) it was one of the duds, it just did not have it.

As a comparison, my old honey 3M, while being heavy has more snap on the cast.

Hmmmm strange, My 9 foot two piece spinning tri-flex loads very nice and I'm blasting cast further than I have done with any other 9 foot rod and out casting most of my buddies with ten foot lightweight rods. I have no fear of throwing a striper pikie and probably could even get away tossing a giant pikie (Though gently)

Even working a 5/8 oz buck tail though not perfect, I've felt every fish that has hit or grabbed. In fact I would say I have sold about a dozen guys on the tri-flex blank so far this season.

Fighting fish, the rod has the backbone for the winchmaster that I am. Subdueing stripers so far in the high teens quickly. I have no fear in hooking any large striper that comes my way.

Only problem I found was having to adjust how I work a pencil popper as the rod action is stiffer than what I was used to with a pure glass rod. My next purchase will be the ten footer to see if she can handle the big gear on the rocks. Todd do you guys make an 11 footer?

I'm surprised. I have built on the 81/2 foot and 9 foot triflex blanks and they were great. I also have a 91/2 foot blank in the shop and its also excellent. Perhaps a little less crisp than a graphite rod but certainly more versatile.

that's agood question... is there a 10 or 11 footer in the line??? I need a bigger rod... (ok "need" may not be the correct term for what I'm feeling...sorry Dear)