Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimA

2 Surf Rod blanks, winter project (need help)

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Need some help deciding on 2 new blanks. Been looking at Pacific Bay, rainshadow, and lamiglas tri flex. (Dont quite have the funds for a ron arra) Would like both to be 2 piece (tired of trying to figure out how to stash a one piece when I go in the super market) and either 9 or 10 feet. Probably use mono on both until I graduate to braid. Would like both to be graphite, but a composit or glass isnt out of the question. One will have a calcutta with 15# on it for throwing plugs, bombers to danny's. Other will have a Penn 525 mag with 25# or 30# on it for bait and eels. Now I hardly ever use much weight with my bait (maybe 1oz at the most) any more gets caught in the rocks, but the eels can get heavy.

Seems like each company rates the blanks different, whether it be light or medium, or how much weight can be thrown with the rod, and some just say how heavy of line to use on the rod, very confusing just when it seems I find the right blank, I look at another site and it has a totally different rating.

Also wondering if I could get 2 of the same blank and cut 6" off the tip make it heavier. I know this is long but any help will be appreciated.

Hey Tim are you a first time rod builder or are have you done it before? I was hoping to give it a shot this LONG COLD winter...maybe we can get together and give it a shot. Let me know.

FWIW, last winter I built 2 10.5' 2-pc conventionals. An AllStar 1265/2 and an AllStar/Breakaway 1266/2. I got the ideas from a suggestion Saltheart posted. The '65 loves 2 ounces, but will cast lighter. The '66 likes 3 to 4 ounces. I use both with souped-up Abu 6500s. I guess I'd call the blanks mid-priced -- around $120 to $140 each. I don't recall exact price I paid. Hope that's helpful....

--OJ

i've run into the same problem.....you have the right blank in mind, but then someone reports the weight range..and you're left scratching your head again...

i made my first custom over last winter..beware it is addictive!!!!

i was going to recc. to you that you go to a place where you can actually feel each blank you want to use...but up in maine i'm not sure where the best place is to do that...anyway you get the best feel of a blank by actually doing that feeling it...

i've seen all of the arra blanks and they are legit. if you've spent the $$ on the calcutta why not invest in the rod as well...i guarantee the arra will be the best plugging rod you've ever seen...

i believe the 1322 2 is eleven feet with a sweet spot at 3 oz....there is also a lighter model ( one rated for much less weight).....

let me know what you end up with....

Asd Old John mentioned , the AllStar 1265/2 will get you from 3/4 to 3 and the AllStar 1266 will get you from 2 to almost 5. Both excellent 2 piece graphite rods available at reasonable prices. I have a couple of each in stock so if you want to email me Saltheart@stripersonline.com , I think I can give you a good deal if I ship both at once.

I would not put 25 or 30 Lb mono on a Penn 525. I would put 35 LB Cortland Spectron or even 65 LB Whiplash. I prefer Spectron. The heavier mono you mentioned won't cast well and will have low capacity IMO.