Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
delaware surfman

Yard sale find please help

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Today I picked up a surf rod for $15. It is 15 ft. 5 inches in overall lenght.It is a 4 piece rod.It is a spinning rod. It has 10 eyes.The bottom eye folds down either way toward the top or toward the bottom.The name on the guide is Olympic.The rest are all what I'd say are Perfection Guides with the extra stiffener bracket.All are stainless steel. They are single wraped with gold paint under them. The reel seat is stainless also.The rod has a wooden butt end on it that is 10 inches in lenght and is slightly cigar shaped.The very bottom has a hard plastic end washer that is pinned in place and has a nut recessed into the washer the nut is threaded.Could this be to center it onto a power wrapper? The grips are very large diameter thread what I would say is nylon. Two colors barber pole fashion.7 inches below reel seat 3 1/2 inches above. The man said that he bought it in 1977 at a Sea Isle City New Jersey Bait and tackle shop for $28 It does look to be custom as I've not seen them like this before but has no names on it at all.No weight or line size recomendations.It is a whip rod not a heavier.Looking like it'll cast only 4 oz. at best and very light weight. Thanks for your help If I can get a pictures I will post them thanks John.

Sorry, I've never seen or heard of anything the likes of that. It has the sound of something home made and that 15'-5" four piece blank it was built on is an utter mystery to me. Perhaps some basement experimenter cobbled it togther out of sections from other blanks; it sure does not sound like any sort of factory stock.

Olympic fishing rods were made in the 70s and 80s. Some are still made for the Europe market today. They were fairly inexpensive fiberglass rods. Two and four piece rods were fairly common.