Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reelturner

Any sugg...for spinning reel on 1265/2 Breakaway??

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For plugging I've been using a Shimano Symetry 4000 mounted on a 10 1/2 ft. custom Hatteras Outfitters 1265 rod for spanish, blues, sometimes stripers when I get the chance at them down here on the Outer Banks. The rod has Alconite spinning guides on it. Using mainly 2oz stingsilvers, hopkins etc. with anywhere 8-12# mono. Haven't tried braid as of yet but might give it a try too.

The rod is rated 1-3oz. but I can tell you 2oz is the sweet spot to throw in my opinion. Anything heavier then I go to another rod.

I want to step up in quality and here at Christmas would be just the opportunity. Looking for user feedback. Really don't plan on dunking the reel, but things do happen at times so here goes in no particular order...

1. Shimano Stradic 4000fg

2. Daiwa 3500ssII (Oznavad heard you had a ssII on a 8ft 'Arra rod... from the board)

3. Tica Libra 3500

4. Tica Camary 3500

Question: Based on people's usage over time, how would you guys rate the reels I have listed on overall performance?....AND

Does the Tica cast as far(apples to apples)on the same rod as the Daiwa with the patented "ABS spool?

I have been looking seriously at the Daiwa ssII, but haven't heard much about it over the long haul. Heard the Tica is superb overall too.

Note. By giving you the rod I would be using, which would you choose. I need a very fast retrieve reel for the spanish too.

Much appreciation beforehand,

Reelturner

Nice rod! It deserves a nice reel. I would go for a Shimano Sustain 5000. You could get a 6000 if you like but that rod is light so I'd go for a lighter reel. On a spinner I'd go for Whiplash. Yep , a Sustain 5000 with Whiplash would be nice for casting and very sensitive. Would also be nice with mono.

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 11-28-2001).]

I think the only difference between the 5000 and 6000 Sustain is the size of the spools, which I also think are interchangeable. Weight difference can't be much more than a fraction of an ounce. Same price, too.

Whatever one works for ya. The TiCA Taurus 6000 fit on my 1266/2 very well. Little heavier than the Sustains and the Stradics, tho.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 11-29-2001).]