GSB1081L Guide Sizes & Spacing

Rate this topic

surfcaster1

Surf,

I cant give you spacing, because I build differently base don how the rod acts (all lami's differ a little bit). but, I can give you guides. I use Fuji BSVLG's in size 40,30,25,20,16, with a BPLT #12 tip. All I can tell you about spacing is that make sure the #40 guide is a good distance away from the reel seat. After installing the rel seat, put the reel on and tape on the guide and make sure the angle from the top of the spool to the guide isnt too severe. if it is, move the guide back an inch or two until the angle decreases.

Good luck.

BC

"The kids they dance and shake thier bones and the politicians throwing stones. singing ashes, ashes all fall down"

i just got mine wrapped in a concept style... i think 7 guides and a tip... lemme know if you interested in spacing and sizes...

"Because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns and the ones we don't know we don't know." Donald Rumsfeld

Howdy Neil,

youre right. The 1st 108 1L I built had 4 guides... a 40 hi frame, 30,20,16 12 tip. the rod casted extremely well, but when under load, I didnt like the stress points on the blank. there was 4 "lines" with deep angles when under stress (from testing) Adding the extra guide really evened out the stress areas, and gave the rod a more parabolic, more powerfull feel. The rod did more of the work against decent sized fish and there was nice even stress distrubution along the guides..

I even tested it with 6 guides on the advice of a few other builders, but didnt like the feel, the rod felt kinda "dead" in my hands... lures didnt "pop" out with force when casting.... and the blank was noticably heavier..

that being said, some people like to use a bigger reel with this rod (I dont like to, I like a VS 150, 710, or 5500 series Penns for this rod). but when they do (VS200, penn 6500 or 704), I sometimes go back to 4 guides because the first guide is so much further away from the reel seat in these instances so as to decrease the angle from the top of the reel spool to the 1st guide. there is less blank to work with, therefore less need for guides and as a result, the stress tests that I conducted showed the same results as when using 5 guides, a nice even stress distrubtion.

I never tried it with 3 guides...

BC

"The kids they dance and shake thier bones and the politicians throwing stones. singing ashes, ashes all fall down"

Hi BC,

Great answer. We are talking 9'rods.

We all build for different folks using different reels etc. The height of the center line of the spool above the blank usually dictates to me whether I use a 40HH or a 40.

Your point of the 5th guide is well taken. Too often after setting up the striper guide properly we are not left with much room for the other 3 or 4 guides. I place a lot of importance on the line running parallel to the blank when on the back swing of a cast. I don't want it touching the blank as you load up going from back to forward motion.

I always find it very interesting how each one of us rationalizes why we design they way we do. In our own way each of us is right but at the same time very different from others.

I have always believed that if the person using the rod liked the rod he/she will make it perform better. The same goes for lures. Hopefully that translates to more fish.

Interesting also is how each location prefers their rods made differently. Some areas still swear by wire loop guides. Others prefer the Concept system or the more common ceramic guides.

Capt Neil Faulkner

I'll go out on a limb on this...you may want to play around with a 25 gathering guide about32 to 36 inches away from the reel seat, then bump down to 20,16,12,10,10 spaced accrding to the flex of the blank...One of those NERDS test casting rod was a spinning rod made this way on a 1088 Rainshadow and this rod performed awesome!!

I was so shocked by this, that all my spinning rods for next season will be made this way for use with 30 lb braid, plugging...it also cuts down on alot of guide weight and cost!

North East Rodbuilders

My 108 1L was built with a high frame 40 followed by 4 single foot guides. The reasoning behind the 40HH was to use smaller guides to lighten the blank so it would recover quicker after the cast. I'll tell you it works!! It's the best casting rig I own.

If interested I will measure the single foot guides and spacing for you.

I am old but I'm slow.

GSB 108 1L;

Reel seat is 23" up from butt.

40HH is 31" up from reel seat (frs)

30mm single foot is 45" up frs

25mm single foot is 58" up frs

20mm single foot is 681/2 " up frs

16mm single foot is 77 " up frs

SIC tip.

The reasoning was; The 40HH gives a higher guide to allow a good "gather" and not require a 50. This allows smaller single foot guides which are lighter. This facilitates a faster recovery upon unload which inturn aligns the guides for less line restriction.

When I first looked at the rod I thought there had been a mistake made. I asked my builder and this is the explaination I was given.

When I made the first cast I could not get the smile off my face. I'm a believer!!

I hope this helps.

Bill

I am old but I'm slow.

Mighty close Charleston!

Reel position is nearly identical (tape on), stripper a bit farther out (penn Slammer 460) and same guide sizes.

My layout is a bit different, but since all blanks flex a bit differently, thats no suprise. I have equal angles accross the guides and the cone of flight is pretty straight. The but is all Quick Grip with 50 lb mono diamond pattern and 6-7 inches of smooth space for the reel foot. Nifty blank and very fun to fish with. I was catching bluefish up to 8.5 lbs a couple of weeks ago and this rod made very short work of it.

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!