Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Springer

Thread, epoxy, etc.

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Sorry guys, I know this info has been hashed over before but w/o the search option I figured I should ask. I am preparing to wrap my first rod, 9' rainshadow blank (SU1087, 1-4 oz)and I will be purchasing the necessary components this week. Are there preferred brands of thread, epoxy, and color preservative or any brands I should stay away from? Items will probably be purchased from mudhole or ****.

Guides and reel seat will definitely be fuji.

And one more question. From what I gather my reel seat will probably be size 20 or 22,is there anyway for me to determine which one without buying both sizes?

Thanks

Figure out where the reel seat is going and measure the blank with a caliper, or hold it over a measuring tape and figure out what the diameter of the base of the reelseat area is. Now you can ask the seller of components which one. Course if you buy both sizes, you'll have an extra seat lying around. A perfect excuse to build another rod that can utilize that spare seat!! biggrin.gif

Thread? Gudbrod regular, not NCP. NCP is kinda dull looking. Color preserver? Gudbrod 811 is good if I recall. I don't use CP any more. I find by saturating the thread with epoxy, you get rid of a bunch of problems and I love the dark, jewel like look of the wraps.

Epoxy? Got a drying motor? I'd get Aftcote since it's really flexible and is less likely to crack with extended use.

I see to many rods with Flex Coat that are cracked at the guide foot.

just my .02

Aftcote or Flexcoat, either one the best results are obtained with a drying motor. This allows the finish to self level. I know people who have rigged up temporary dryers using rotisserie motors. Otherwise, you need to set aside a few hours for each coat to turn by hand.

Yep, get yourself a motor for easy finishing...

You can find something serviceable on the cheap or spend 30-50 or so on a ready made rig!

Either way, it'll last a really long time (years) so the service life is a pretty fair deal.