Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glub

WHY?

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

This QUESTION has been posted many "O" times but why are you here? To learn? To bust somebody's chops? To think that your big and bad behind a keyboard? Or to share your experiences and or tackle on how to catch fish. Take a step back in time and think about it. I don't know but you better think about what your saying before you post it. Come on, enough already. Look at Awesome John's posts, or any one of the forum leaders or yourself for that matter. Everyday someone new comes along and try's to throw a dig at whomever or for whatever the topic is. WHY?

I first came here to learn and that's still the primary reason that this is my home page.

2000 posts, and quite a few new friends later busting chops is kinda fun biggrin.gif . The people who show up to cause trouble never last very long here, you ever notice how few trolls we have to put up with (one Otter is enough wink.gif )

WHY?? - because it is fun to watch people get bent and distorted over sillyness. There are many guys who will go into a tirade if you have a difference of opinion with them, what better way to enjoy the full internet experiance than to push their buttons and see what happens?

I do my best to help when I can, and I'll read fishing related threads that I'm interested in, the internet is a lazy way of learning how to do things. If you were really interested in learning how to do something, you'd go out and practice yourself rather than ask a million questions. I'm guilty, I admit it. I'm not ashamed either. I'm not saying the internet shouldn't be used to learn, just sometimes the same question gets asked over and over, then it gets transformed to another question which isreally the same as the other one. It gets repetitive.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say Glub Glub was PCrewe, since you showed up the same time PCrewe got booted off here.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say Glub Glub was PCrewe, since you showed up the same time PCrewe got booted off here.

Billy,

If you think Mario is Hugh you're not even in the ballpark.

I came here at the recommendation of a friend.

Once here I lurked for a while checking out the topics and replies. I learned some stuff and when I had enough information or thought I had something worthwhile to post I registered and posted.

Since then, I've come to recognize the regulars, sometimes jumping on a forum to see what the latest post says not necessarily because of the topic but because I recognize the member and respect their contributions.

I've not been a member that long but have gotten a sense of what motivates this site.

Before visiting this site, I'd never heard of Crazy Al, Al Goldberg or Hab's plugs. I always though BM was ..... well you know ... redface.gif

One of my first posts was responded to by Crazy Al ... I'd never heard of him. Turns out we shared common memories of the 'good old days'.

Al Goldberg sent me some rigs in response to a question about Flounder fishing ...

J. Habs shared his thoughts about the use of his plugs in the waters I fish.

"Plug" sent me a detailed drawing of a rig he uses in the waters I fish regularly. The list goes on.

My point is that this site has a wealth of information. MOST of the members are willing to share knowledge without reservation.

That's why I joined ... that's why I stay.

I'm not saying the internet shouldn't be used to learn, just sometimes the same question gets asked over and over, then it gets transformed to another question which isreally the same as the other one. It gets repetitive.

Billy, one thing I've learned over the years is to look at thing the way you outlined in the quote above - as correct and inevitable as it might be - is more than a little presumptuous. I'm not saying you are being presumptuous, the veiwpoint quoted above is the natural progression of a site that is maturing. But it is presumptuosu, in my opinion, to think that everyone is seeing things the same way that you (or I for that matter) are seeing them. Lemme explain smile.gif

The same question is only the same question for someone that's seen it answered before. There is a constant flow of new blood into this site - both registered members and people just browsing through. To each of them many of the question being posted and answered are shiny and new smile.gif They aren't the same old, same old. They haven't been beaten to death. While it's true that to those of us who've been around here for years have seen most of these questions - and their answers - before, to the new guy registering here or reading here for the first time, it's all brand new. It's really just a matter of perspective.

In my opinion, I think the new guy surfing through today should have their questions handled in the same fashion they were the very first time they were asked. To be blown off with "use the search engine" doesn't seem very hospitable - the search engine is an option, a tool for folks that want to use it - however, times change, members change, opinions change and tackle technology changes faster than all of it. What might have been the perfect answer 4 years ago might not even be relevant today.

In that respect, I think it's presumptuous for anyone to think that everyone is seeing things through our same perspective smile.gif

Why do I post? Many would say because this is my site and my business. They would be dead wrong. I posted just as frequently on two other sites years ago. Why did I post there? Because I thoroughly enjoyed sharing fishing oriented topics with others. I have always had an interest in and valued greatly the experiences of others - whether they were grizzled surf veterans like Ditch Jigger and Poppy...or troubled newer guys like Laurel and Hardy (gmiller and richg). I enjoyed helping where I could help and being helped where I needed it. I think mostly I enjoyed the comraderie of people that shared the same passion for striped bass that I have.

I will never understand people that post just to get a negative reaction out of others frown.gif I can understand almost every other motivation for posting, whether it be a need to have a question answered, a desire to share what you know or just a want to be among fellow surf fishermen...but the need for negative attention I will never fully grasp. That's not you Billy, I hope you don't think I'm trying to say it's you, I've grown to understand you a lot better in the past couple years and you truly have changed my opinion of you in that time smile.gif

TimS

I find it amazing how some people will read ten or more responses to a post before it hits them that they are not interested in the subject matter of the post.instead of moving on to something new,they would rather make a negative comment.i think suggesting the search feature is great as long as it is coupled with a positive response.some people like to blow out other peoples candles just to make theirs shine brighter. SHAME ON THEM !

Tim my post was definately not directed to SOL - it was just a general thought about all fishing sites. Actually, I was referring to the repetitive questions people ask about spiral wrapping a rod. One of the rodbuilding sites gets the same question at least twice a week, for the past 6 months.

Regarding the Search feature - guys should use it more before asking questions. 1/2 of my questions are answerred in the archives. I know I've made some long and detailed post in the Rod Building forum, that it's just way easier to direct someone to the archive than to re-type 2 pages.

"I make you laugh? I'm here to amuse you?

What do you mean, funny? Funny how?

How am I funny?"

Squidlips, I know you made BrianZ laugh the other day and yah didn't even know it smile.gif He told me he went into Giglio's - and after he choked down the $6/dozen for sandworms icon25.gif he said he noticed a familiar lookin' mug starting at him from the braggin' board eek.gif Closer inspection revealed a Squidlips/giant gator razor lips photo smile.gif He did make a particular comment about the shorts you were wearing, but it escapes me now wink.gif

He said the bluefish looked to an absolute beast icon25.gif

TimS

Billy, what ya wrote is true for this site as well - certain questions get asked over and over again. My point was, for the newer folks, those questions are often being asked for the first time smile.gif Sending folks to the search engine for stuff like rod wrapping tips is ideal - that kinda advice is often timeless icon14.gif But sending them searching for opinions on braid, for instance, is not nearly as useful - braids are changing all the time - some new winners, some new losers and some of our favorites being discontinued. A 4 year old discussion on braids is bound to be somewhat out dated smile.gif

Perspective, it's something that often separates people by a great deal...and without considering it, those same people often start out a discussion with an entirely different picture of the situation smile.gif

TimS