Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
old_username

Fireline

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

If you asked me that question several years ago I woukd have said to get a rod with only Fuji ceramic guides.

However, the new spectra lines, specifically the thermofilament lines that Fireline is an example, are very smooth and supposedly are easier on guides.

Try to use the Fireline on the rod. However, I would be frequently checking the guides and tip top for grooving as well as the line for any fraying.

If you have not purchased the rod yet, I would suggest you invest a few more dollars in the rod and purchase one with Fuji ceramic guides. There are many quality production rods at reasonable prices from Lamiglas, Seeker and Star that come with Fuji guides. Check them out at your better tackle shops. Now at the end of the season you may get a real bargain.

Al G.

Somefishhere... The guides on that particular rod can be severely grooved by superlines. I showed TimS a photograph showing this some time ago. Have you tried the Daiwa Sealine-X Surf series of rods? They are similarly priced and IMO they are better rods (and very, very light compared to the UglySticks). I have no idea regarding the origin of the guides but these are less prone to grooving than the ones on the UglyStick model you mention. Make sure to wash these guides with fresh water or use some water displacing agent on them because unfortunatelly they corrode rather easily, if you leave salt water in them for some time.

Hope this helps!

Sergio