Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerseyMike79

Casting Question

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Not sure if this topic was covered yet. My question is two parts:

1a.) When casting a plug, how much line do you allow between the tip of the rod to the actual plug before chucking it? Do you keep the plug closer to the tip or give it a few inches?

1b.) Same question, but for live bait with a sinker on it?

2.) I hear people talk about using their "conventional" and "spinning" reels for certain situations such as conventional for live bait and spinning for plugging. I know the difference between the two, appearance wise, but why is one "better" to use then the other for each situation?

Thanks everyone!

to answer your last question first, conventional gear offers the average caster more distance than spinning. not having to deal with wind knots is another advantage, although the conventional bird's nest is usually worse.

the length of your drop will depend upon your casting technique. with either bait or lure, a drop length down to the first guide (above the reel) is a good place to start. depending upon how your rod loads and your casting technique, you can lengthen or shorten your drop to find the optimal length, a little trial and error.

spinning is better for pluggin (in my opinion) because oyu make so many cast with light plugs. The light plugs and numnerous casts with a conventional eventually (sometimes often) winds up with backlashes. I prefer to fish big fish on conventionals but with pluggin (at least for me) its better to go with a spinner.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

I use a 3' leader on a spinning rod and cast with the swivel a few inches from the tip. After a while you'll know the spot because you won't wind it up your eye. Spinning is easier without a doubt.

Spinning gear is forgiving of poor technique(bad cast vs birdsnest) and permits you easily throw baits lighter than you rod rating without fear of blowing up your reel.

Conventional gear is superior (IMHO)to spinning when throwing heavy lures and weight+bait. It is much easier to hold the spool with your thumb than than to hold the line with your index finger.

Conventional gear also will stand up better to repeatedly winching heavy weights and fish in.

gad

longer drop = more distance and the same effect as having a longer rod..

BUT, you must slow down and timing is more difficult... (more time for error)

shorter drop = more forgiving to mistakes

longer drop = more distance (if you get it right)

I'm not sure why , but up to about 3 oz i probably use 2-3 foot drop

over that (almost always with conventional) I used 4-8 ft, depending on rod and conditions..

In tournament distance casting, I use about an 11 foot drop on a 13'8" rod....

Final answer to your questions..

It depends.

------------------

All tackled up and nowhere to go!!!

Whether you fish conventional or spinning, the casting pros recommend you should lower you lure of weight to the level of the first guide on your rod.

Spinning is not ment for weights in excess of 8 ounces. The reason is that all the pressure of casting is born by the drag mechanism which can be ruined by over tightening. If not totally ruined its useful life will be shortened.

With a conventional setup the pressure is on your thumb as the spool is in free-spool without the drag engaged.

Hope this helps!