Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Artificial all the way

First Timer

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

So I don't have to ask 100 questions can someone point me to an old post or site for starting off? I want to put my first rob together and need much help.

I want to build a nice UL type rod. I was using a 7' Fly Pole with 4lb test and a Daiwa SS long cast spinning reel which was working very nicely. So I would like to make something very similar to that. It seems the Fly guides drew the line to the pole very fast and seemed to help gain casting distance. I figured if I just had a bigger first guide it would be even better since the small first guide on the Fly pole is very small and restricting. I was wondering if anyone uses Fly guides on their spinning rods or is there a better alternative?

Thanks

Jay

I'm just completing my first rod, and in addition to any assistance you get on SOL, I'll share two resources which I found absolutely invaluable. The first is Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman, an excellent beginner's guide with very clear photographs and straightforward explanation of techniques. The second is his site, http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

It gets frequent traffic from many custom builders, and you'll get plenty of good advice from good people on any of your questions. I've yet to find another site that's gets as many posts on rod building. Definitely get the book first, though. It'll be the best $14.95 investment you could make.