Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

Looking back at this year and into next year.

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Well here we are near the end of September and the season is in "the top of the stretch". The Fall blitz is about to begin and I am finally down to finishing the last few rods for this year. Huuray!!!

It's been just a year since Tim and I started the Rod Building Board. I still can't believe there are over 3000 posts on this board.

It's been great fun meeting alot of you face to face and on the board. To Surfpirate, Brian Z., Mark, Tony Hill, Arne P., Habs, Crazy Al, Fishweewee and Mully, May the Bass Be with You.

I want to get everyone's input on how to improve on the Board in this next year. Also, with the off season quickly coming on, many of you will start to think about building or refinishing rods. Are there any specific topices you would like me to write on as articles or tips that Tim could post to the articles section?

A subject came to mind tonight. I just returned from Orient Point on a charter for bass, blues and bottom fishing. That's a seperate story.

While out there, one of the charter captains gave to me a light boat rod I had built a number of years ago for his wife that now is in need of some TLC.

Candidly, the rod is a disaster. In the years, ten I think, since I built the rod it has not seen a fresh water hose, let alone soap and water.

The result is that the rod is in need of a complete refishing job. Very costly and time consumming.

If he had simply washed down the rod with a freshwater hose at the dock and periodically washed the rod with some soap and water it would still be in good shape.

So, here is my first tip for the new year on SOL Rodbuilding. At the end of each trip, wash your rod down with freshwater and some dishwasing soap like Joy. Use a toothbrush to scrub around the guidefeet.

Periodically, after the rod is washed and now is dry, take a soft cloth dampened with liquid car polish and rub down the rod. Apply two coats following the label directions. Your rod will not only look good but will give you many years of trouble free service.

Have a great fall season. I hope to see alot of you at the rescheduled Fisherman Surf Seminar in October.

Al

You're supposed to wash your rods after fishng?? No way!!

Al, I've read on teh **** board where guys spray some corrosion X product on the guides and their reels to prevent, what else, Corrosion. I've been meaning to order some but I haven't yet. ANy thoughts on this.

Ways to improve - hmmm. Maybe guys can get together over the winter, besides at the seminar, and share ideas. As you know, Curt Baker has a get together over his house in Florida like once or twice a month. Maybe we can do something like that here locally. When my house is finally built and I build my shop (maybe before Christmas), I could have these types of get togethers there. The lure building board is having one of these type meetings this or next weekend. Just a thought.

Billy

A couple of comments,first I would be very careful in using any sprays Corrosion x,WD etc.at times problems arise when doing repairs{finish}that seem to lead to the idea that the products used are incomparable with some finishes.Billy you are correct Curt does generously donate his home and time for mini seminars.We have a monthly meeting at a tackle shop and also almost weekly meetings at Curts' home.The monthly meeting is generally about one aspect of building,closed wraps,or weaves,etc.The other meetings are generally based on the wants or needs of an individual that is any problems someone might be having are discussed and means are found to correct the problem,one big point is no matter how many times one reads of a system,there is nothing like seeing it put to use,an excellent reason for attending rodcrafter seminars also.Al as a now tourist visiting the board I would like to see perhaps a little more info on why a particular blank and or components are chosen,for me I am attempting to try and determine whether a blank used by you could be adapted for use here.Overal I think the site and this board are excellent,great job Al.

John

Hi John,

As far as sharing blank info and component selection to adapt to your needs down south, How do you think I get some of my ideas. One blank suggestion I received from Bill Whitson is the Seeker CLB708. He uses it for smoker kingfish. In my humble opinion it's the best all around blank for inshore fishing here in the Northeast.

Al

Dr. Goldberg:

If Crazy Alberto starts washing his gear, chances are he won't need to be ordering any more rods from you!

Is that type of responsible behavior something you want to encourage in a highly lucrative client?

I wonder what CA's Customer Lifetime Value is to the tackle industry.

Gotta run, have a date with Bassmaster and his plugz...

PM,

CA's lifetime value can't be measured because it's off the chart. That's why I love him. After knowing him for more than 25 years, what can I say.

He still has a few tog rods I first made him years ago as well as a large arsenal of more current sticks. Whenever he comes up to visit, he is constantly searching for another to add to his collection. Yes, he fishes hard and get the most out of his tackle. But he is the best testing ground I know to put my work to the limit of performance.

Al

I think articles about building specific rods are nice. Maybe "How to build my favorite Boat rod" or "Building a high performance Steelhead Rod". Sort of like describe everything about building a particular rod and details of why you do it a certain way. Etc.

You do a great job Al. Thanks for all the help.

Salt - that's a great idea. I'll add to it. Instead of relying on Al to write up all these articles, maybe a few of us can write up some articles or posts on our favorite rod and set-up. This will open the door to some constructive criticism, and may spur new ideas.

Don't get me wrong, I like reading the Al Goldberg articles and look forward to them. I do realize this includes myself, and I'd be glad to write some small stuff up on how I've built some of my rods.

Billy

I think it would be great for Al to do a step-by-step series building a 14 or 15 foot two handed 12wt flyrod. At the end of the series it could be awarded to me, because it's my idea and I really need one.

Thanks for all your help on my last project Al!

Gadwall

------------------

><))))*> ~~~~

Gadwall,

Two fly rods on my order list to do this winter are a nine foot 4 piece 10 wtg and an 8.25 foot 4 piece 17 wtg bluewater fly rod. Both a Lami prototypes that I hope to field test next year.

The 14-15 foot 12 wtg makes a great surf fly rod. I have seen quite a few of them over the last two years. Great for punching into the wind and over high surf.

I am still learning about fly rods. Maybe in another 15-20 years I will learn something.

Al

P.S. I am working on an idea with Tim S and Crazy Al that we hope to announce shortly. I think you will like it.

Al,

The success of this board is directly tied to your responsiveness in answering questions and providing quality info. I've really enjoyed this board even though my fishing/rod building time has really decreased this year.frown.gif

I agree with Saltheart's suggestion of articles on building specific rods. The mechanics of rod building, glueing, wrapping, finishing, etc. seem pretty straightforward. For me, the challenge is usually figuring out optimal set-up, building the right tool for the job. How to set up a specific rod using the right blank, grip, seat, guides, spacing, etc... While recipes are good, I also like to why's -- the explanations of why certain blanks and components are selected and why certain set-ups help achieve the best performance for particular applications.

Thanks again for an excellent job in moderating this board.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark (edited 09-25-2001).]

Al,

You do a great job with helping people on this site. truely a professional in every sense of the word. I rinse off my equipment minuimum once a week but i never washed a rod with soap! icon15.gif I guess i should start!! thanks for the tip!!

I am also looking forward to see what you and TimS and Alberto are cooking up!! 3 great fishing minds with the combined experience that can be found NOWHERE else ...it should be stellar to say the least!!

Al, your board zings! When I lived on the coast I would build 7-10 rods a year for friends, acquaintances, and experimentation. Having settled in the mid-west, I have no way of purchasing >9' blanks nor a way of getting them to the coast short of a 14 hour drive so I have basically dropped out of the wrapping business. i still read your board ravenously, however, because there will come a time when I am back on the coast-then Katy bar the door!

What I would like to see on your board is a "rod of the month' feature. You could describe the type rod, i.e. in Feb you could talk about a cod rod, the primo blank, the fall back blank, grip selection, guide palcement, etc. Perhaps a pic to inspire. Just my $.02.

[This message has been edited by jamiek (edited 09-25-2001).]

"Rod of the Month" or the ultimate rod for a specific application sounds great. Keep it coming.

Let's see, here are some of my thoughts. Please add to it or change the months to prioritize:

January- Big Ditch Canal Road

February - Schoolie Spring Bass Rod

March - Fluke and Flounder Rods

April - Weakfish Rods

May - Boat Eeling, Jigging and Chunking Rods

June - Tuna Rods

July - Surf Rods - Casting and Bait

August - Blackfish Rods

September-November I am too busy fishing.

December - Cod Rods

Thanks for all the input,

Al