Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Bald Head

What happens if you don't use color preserver?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Will the epoxy yellow? Will the thread colors fade? Or does the thread simply not appear it's "true" color and gets darkened by the epoxy?

And yeah, this is on the non-NCP thread (standard stuff).

???

-- DHE

------------------

-- Big Bald Head

derrett@environcorp.com

fish4errett@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Big Bald Head (edited 07-29-2002).]

I can tell you what happened to me.

Didnt use color preserver on a white under wrap (and it was NCP thread)and the epoxy made it look dull and transparent. Almost like its wet. Doesnt look very good to say the least. Used white again on a different pole with the preserver and the white is nice and bright. Looks great.

The best way I have found to see what the color wil be without cP is to wet the wrap. CP will usually allow the thread to show off its colors without darkening. Some people report problems with bubbles when they use CP. Also, when you use it and then epoxy the wraps, the epoxy does not soak into the threads,some think this leaves a weaker bond. I have wrapped both with and without CP and have not experienced any problems. I find that some colors really look great when darkened and not coated with CP, so ya gotta try it out on a scrap blank then make yer choice.

BBH, your thread finish will "yellow" as much as whatever type you're using is prone to, exactly to the same degree with or without color preserver. Standard nylon (non-NCP thread) will both darken, and actually go translucent to the point you can see the guide foot beneath the thread wrap. This can actually be used to some neat effect if done carefully and with a bit of experimenting and forethought. Take a look at St. Croix's Tidemaster series of rods next time you're in a tackle shop. No cp on them, and it almost looks like the guides are wrapped in dark green cellophane. Kinda neat and something a bit different for a change.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 07-29-2002).]

regular thread and metallic thread behave quite differently. For regular thread, the color gets very dark and unclear without CP, but for metallic thread, the true color shows through even without CP, except gets a little darker and translucent.

With metallic thread, I do not use CP and like the effects.

I HAD 2 RODS MADE W/RED&SILVER WRAPS .IM GUESSING C/P WASNT USED &THE SILVER TURNED A GOLD TINT ~!(I HATE GOLD )SO I WAS VERY DISSAOPINTED TO SAY THE LEAST &THE RODS R ONLY 2/12 YEARS OLD ~! SO NOW I GOTTA GET THEM DONE OVER AGIN .

TIGHT LINES

Y~TAIL

yellowtail, what you're seeing is the results of the thread finish "ambering". Virtually all finishes amber (take on a yellowed tone) over time, some to a much greater degree than others. There's a few newer finishes on the market claiming to have overcome this very common problem, but the jury's still out. The ambering is not an issue on many colors, causing just subtle, almost imperceptible changes, but on some colors, the results are truly ugly. Light blues will turn a sickly green color, whites take on a dingy yellow tone and silver - as you've noticed - starts to appear as a really putrid yellow / brown. Some thread colors - epecially large expanses of them - are simply best avoided altogether.