Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishweewee

Lamiglas Customer Service

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

After a little cajoling and pleading, I recently talked the proprietor of one of the largest saltwater tackle shops in southern New England to (reluctantly) resume stocking Lamiglas factory surf fishing sticks. biggrin.gif

Because I got sick and tired of seeing the same !@#$ factory G. Loomis rods on the rack! devil.gif

The proprietor used to stock Lami many years back, but ran into trouble when the company seemingly didn't live up to the stated warranty standards or would take up to six months to fix a customer's rod.

Naturally the customers who bought bad Lamis several years ago and got stiffed on service got mad at the tackle shop owner, not at Lami. So after just a few bad customer experiences, aforementioned tackle proprietor just stopped stocking Lamiglas product.

The tackle shop owner has had the exact opposite experience with G. Loomis, which has bent backwards to accommodate his customers repair and warranty needs on a timely basis. Week-long turnarounds on even major repairs/replacements are not uncommon.

For most surf-fishing needs I happen to like certain Lami products over certain Loomis products. Both companies make great stuff...but understandably this tackle shop owner will be more inclined to sell stuff from companies with whom it is easier to do business with.

How's the situation with Lami customer service now nowadays? Can't say I've had a need to call them...yet.

The sad part about Lamiglas & numerous others is that they simply will not "FESS UP" even when its obvious that they have a flaw in either design or a "bad batch".

Same goes for reel makers as well. If someones life was at stake then there'd be a "recall"but such is not the case.

They're not gonna until some one makes them and then of course the customer takes it in the shorts by paying a higher price.So what else is new?

About this time last year I contacted Lamiglas about their surf rod blanks; wanted to know if the Ron Arra Blanks would hold-up under the strain of the UK casting techniques and was told"absolutely"I then asked the next logical question"does that mean that the other surf blanks you offer WON"T hold -up to those same casting styles?"

Got the old hem and haw soft shoe on that one.

But got the same thing from Seeker about their British Style Surf Blanks vs their other offerings.

All-Star was the same with their blanks vs the ones they build for Breakaway.

I've never owned a Loomis,always figured they were just over $ Lamiglas.

Never had a blank failure with Lamiglas,JKF,and have never used much of anything else.

Customer service as far as answering questions about blanks for specific applications and plans for the future has always been first class with Lami but JKF is dead now but coming again soon.

I can tell you that Bob Batson of Rainshadow/Forecast is superb at customer service.

Jsut my $.02 worth. Neil

I had a 1201L blank blow up on a cast (4 oz. hopkins) about 1-2.0 foot above the reel seat. Complete snap in half. Lami told me to cut the blank down to reduce shipping costs and send it to them. They looked it over and sent me a new blank within 2 weeks. Very satisfied with the service. The only cost not covered is the custom re build $$$$.

Now if I could just find the time to put it together.

BH

3 years ago had a 8' surf break and lami took 8 weeks to get me a new one but they had to build it. i just had a gsh901mt built and the blank took 8 weeks to come in. they had to build that one too...but they are worth every day of the wait...only thing was when we were tracking the blanks progress lami couldnt tell us if they started building it or if it was done yet.cant understand that tracking system.

------------------

chuck m back n catch m later

Hey Todd, not to change subjects but in the composite line what is the difference between the GFP's, GMB's and the GFC's?

Thanks,

Billy

PS: recomendations for a 7ft cast rod for a penn 940 throwing poppers, 5" minnows and plastics.

Thanks Al,

I might have to try that when I get a chance. Sounds like a good rod for the boys to fish with out of the boat.

Billy.

ps: when you coming up to MA???

Billy, for the short description:

CMB - primarily mooching and live bait action. Thin walled fast taper, light tip.

GFP - Originally designed as a light saltwater blank, similar to a popping blank action. Mostly used now for plug running.

GFC - Saltwater series, with the 25 - 30 lb models a live bait action tip. Big guns in the butt.

Todd

Neil, I believe you and I may have spoken about this subject in the past. To be very honest with you I have never hidden or diverted from the truth about known problems with our blanks. Be it a bad run or thank goodness (it hasn't happened in a long time)an issue with failure in a design. When I have started seeing irregular breakage in a specific model for some irregular reason I try to find any reason that could be for the failures. I have never hidden any of this information when there is something of suspect in a given model.

Todd

They were always good to me. One time I had two Talon's (not a Lami product) in a row break on me and I called Lami about a tip. After hearing my sob story they hooked me up with someone who soild me a lami 9 footer at cost. I still fish with the rod some 15 years now! They also helped me choose a long 11'6" steelhead rod for throwing 2 to 3 OZ plugs in the surf.