Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nhten

refinishing rod blank ?

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

OK guys,I have a 10 year old graphite that I built,,and the finish on the rod blank itself is starting to show its age. Anyone ever sand and refinish the entire blank ? I have a detail sparyer that I use for work and was wondering if I sand the rod,,degloss and spray the blank,,what are the chances that I can bring this rod back to life ? I have no idea what to use on this project,but was thinking about using a clearcoat that you would spray over a cars final paint . Is this "clearcoat" too brittle ? What do you think ?

NH,

if its graphite, then dont worry about sanding it all off.. the best way, IMO, is to use a razor blade by scraping the old finish off.. dont dig the blade into the blank, jst scratchit with the bladstright down to the blank. AFter you get almost all of the old finish off, clean the blank with denatured alcohol and see where youve missed, scrap the rest of that off, more denatured alcohol, then sand the blank in a lathe or a rod wrapper, one more touch of denatured alcohol and you are all set. If you are going to refinish the rod, I would wrap your guides 1st, then refinish the entire rod. this makes it look much better. Sometimes I dont dont refinish the blank, I just wrap and epoxy the guides, makes the blank look like it has a matte finish.. good luck.

BC