Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JAL

Al G. - Calstar question?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Al,

Did a search and saw a post where you said the Calstar GF 700XL made a great spinner for Blues, Bones, and Albies. What do you think the blanks weight range would be for casting plugs and jigs, especially the lower end???

Do you think the longer (800XL) has any merits for a jetty stick to throw plugs and jigs in the 1-2 oz range? Thought the composite material would make a durable jetty stick. Thanks Al !

Have a GF700XL and a 700L made up as conventional boat rods (spiral wrapped) 1-3oz for the XL, 2-4, possibly 5 for the L. This is based one using the rods only a couple of times. THe XL and a 2oz jig (A27) is a really nice combo, and I think the ideal weight for this rod. I used the L with a 4 and it handled it fine, so I am assuming theat it could handle 5oz as well. The A47 was too much for hte XL - the rod gives these jigs a nice swinging side to side action, with 4oz on the XL there was no kick becuause the rod was always bent from the wieight of the lure.

Hope this helps, BIlly

Thanks everyone,

Al, can you give some recommendations for the number of guides (model) and placement of the butt guide (distance from reel face). Would be using the 8' for a jetty stick (800XL)

Are the high frame double foot guides a good choice on jetty sticks, or do you prefer them on the longer surf rods?

BTW, the reel will probaly be a 5000/6000 series Shimano or something comperable for use with braid.

[This message has been edited by JAL (edited 07-02-2001).]

JAL,

I would go with the following set up using the high frame guides: 30H, 25H, 25M, 20M plus a BPST20- tip. Space the 30H approiximately 40-45 inches from the face of the reel.

Al