Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Help with Lami Blank

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Thought I'd throw this out there to gather some opinions...plus the fact that I'm feeling a bit lazy and want to see how much research-time you guys can save me. wink.gif

I heart.gif Lamiglas. Period. I have a bunch of blanks that I've built upon as well as (<gasp>) a factory 1083 that I purchased before building my own. But I have not yet found a very specific blank that, hopefully, you guys can help pick out for me. Here's the specs...

-7-8' to be built as a spinning rod and used in the salt from my kayak.

-X-FAST ACTION (primary consideration!!!!).

-handle lure weights between 3/8-1oz.

-one or two piece...doesn't matter

-matched with a Libra 3500 and 20# PP

I already have a GLB 841L and M and while they are GREAT sticks, they are a bit more parabolic than what I'm looking for (I'd say these are "medium-fast" by my definition).

Plan on using cork grips, fuji seat and guides (may save up the $$ and go for the titaniums just to try them out)...any suggestions greatly appreciated!

And a safe and happy New Year's to fellow SOL rod builders! cwm12.gif

IMO Lamiglas does not make many, if any XFast action rods. I think you might find something suitable from LAmiglas with their new IM700 series of blanks, although I don't know what lengths they come in, you cold always extend.

Are you dead set on using a Lami? Honestly, I've only seen 2 other true XF blanks, and know of one other. There is an All Star series of FW blanks (the ones I used are IGSP & are discontinued, although a call to Sharon at All Star will get you the new model #'s). GUSA 79 & 80XF, are SW blanks and probably too heavy for what you're looking for. And St CRoix has a couple of SCIII blanks which are true XF, but shorter at 6'3 & 6'8 - although there is a chance they made a longer one. Not sure teh rating on these though.

I'm sure there are other blanks I'm not familiar with. You could also tinker around with an existing Fast action blank & extend it to make it XF.

A number of years ago I bought a Lami Titanium 2000 series blank from Dale Clemmens on a closeout. The blank is 7'9" long and is rated 3/8to 1oz. I had it wrapped with single foot gold cermet guides and use it with a spinning reel.It is an unbelievable rod for Albecore on the North Fork in the fall and also is at home in Little Neck Bay for early season Bass.The Titanium sleeve is about 30" long and gives the butt section incredible strength.The Lamiglas rep at one of the shows said the guys in the Pacific Northwest use these blanks to take Steelhead Salmon.

I believe Lami is still producing the blank in a one piece 7' length.If you want to treat youself to something different this is one to consider!

Marc

Lamiglas makes a few blanks that may work for you. The TIMSH22MTis a fast action Steelhead rod rated 3/8-1 1/4oz. The GSH901MT is another Steelhead rod rated 1/4-1 3/4oz.TIMS78M is rated 3/8-1oz. The XC78MH is rated 3/8-1 1/2oz. All are light fast action rods.

Joe,

I believe the blank you may be looking for is the GSH902MT, it is 7'6", 2pc, rated for 1/4-3/4 but I know from personal use it will fit your application.

Todd