Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guy F

Old Fenwick Surf Rods

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I bought that I think was called a Fenwick Bigstik blank back in the early 80's when I first got into surf fishing. It had a dark brown carbon butt section and a honey colored tip section. It was part of the John Holden British style surf rod invasion. If I recall correctly, the butt section was about 5 feet long and the tip section was about 7 feet long. Unfortunately the tip section cracked at the joint during a cast and went flying out into the water. I recovered the tip section but it was damaged beyond repair.

Does anyone know the correct name and model number for these rods? Over the past few years I've seen posts making reference the Fenwick Bigstick and I'm very interested in buying either a blank or finished rod. I've seen other models of Fenwick surf rods like the SU1328 (yellow butt and tip) and the newer PS120 (brown butt and tip) but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Anyone have one for sale?

See y'all out there,

Guy F

Aloha Guy,

If my memory is correct the series of rods and blanks were called Surf Sticks. They featured graphite butt sections and glass tips, with the tips being longer than the butts. These were fast tapered blanks. When I get a chance I'll look up the specs for you. Hanapa'a.

Mark

Actually both of you are close. "Fenwick Big Surfstick" blanks had a Fenglass tip and a graphite butt. Model SS-1385 is listed at 11 1/2 lure wt 5-8 ounces and could be had for $94.64 in a 20 year old Merrick Tackle catalog. The SU-1386 is also an 11 1/2 but was quite inferior to the SS Model.

Steve

The 1386 was a little on the wimpy side, but the SU-1389 was better than the Big Suffstik rods IMO. It was even better with the tip trimmed back about 3". I think Prospector still has his wink.gif Used to be his go-to inlet bucktail stick and it still may be.

Aloha Gentlemen,

From my '82 Fenwick Rod builders catalog "Bigstik Surf Rod Blanks",

SS-1383 11 1/2' X-fast Action 2-4oz.lure

SS-1384 11 1/2' Moderate Action 1-4oz.lure

SS-1385 11 1/2' X'fast Action 5-8oz.lure

The 83' Blank catalog added 2 more models

SS-1111 9 1/4' X-fast Action 1/2-2oz.lure

SS-1202 10' X-fast Action 1-3oz.lure

In the 84' catalog The name changed to "Big Surfstik. I can't find my 87' catalog but by 88' these blanks were no longer offered in the catalog. I still have 3 of the 1385 blanks in use and have 1 1111 that just broke a couple of years ago. Hope this isn't too much info. Mark

Thank you very much gentlemen,

For Mark:

That is exactly the information that I was look for. The 1982 Bigstik Surf Rod SS-1385 11 1/2' X'fast Action 5-8oz.lure is the rod that I was trying to describe.

Since you have three of them, please keep me in mind of you ever consider selling one of them.

Or, if anyone else has one of these rods for sale, please let me know.

Aloha, mahalo,

Guy F

Been years since I have seen this style blank in action . Seeker still sells what it calls a British style surf rod which sounds very similar to what you are looking for , Mud Hole has them in 2005 catalog . Rods are very personal but technology wise these rods are old hat and have been surpasted by newer rods by allstar,rainshadow etc

The 1386 was a little on the wimpy side, but the SU-1389 was better than the Big Suffstik rods IMO. It was even better with the tip trimmed back about 3". I think Prospector still has his wink.gif Used to be his go-to inlet bucktail stick and it still may be.

I OWN 2ea OF WHAT I BELIEVE TO BE FINWICK 1386'S (OR SO I WAS TOLD BY THE GUY THAT TIED THEM). THE ARE 14' (13.5 TO BE EXACT). I USE GARCIA 7000'S ON BOTH. I FISH THE TAIL RACE BELOW TRUMAN DAM (HEAD WATERS OF LAKE OF THE OZARKS) WITH THESE RODS. USUALLY RUN 17-20# LINE, NO SHOCK LEADERS...4oz BANK SINKERS...AND CAN THROW RIGHT AT 100YDS WITHOUT WORRY OF SNAPPING OFF.

I'M NOT AS FORTUNATE AS SOME OF THE "OLD TIMERS" WHO FISH THIS AREA, AS MY PERSONNEL BEST WAS A 50# BLUE CAT CAUGHT BACK IN '99. I HAVE CAUGHT NUMEROUS CAT'S FROM 37-47#, THOUGH WITH DISCHARGE RATES IN EXCESS OF 70,000 CUBIC FEET/SECOND. WHEN FISHING UNDER THESE CONDITIONS YOUR USUALLY DRIFT FISHING. THIS MEANS THAT THE ROD STAYS IN YOUR HANDS ALL OF THE TIME. SEEMS LIKE THE 1386 IS A LITTLE LIGHTER THAN THE 1389 AND MUCH MORE PLEASANT TO FISH IN THIS FASHION. GIVEN THESE CONDITIONS AND THE PERFORMANCE IVE EXPERIENCED I WOULD NOT CONSIDER THEM WIMPY...BUT THEN AGAIN I'M NOT AN EXPERIENCED SALT WATER FISHERMAN. CAN ANY OF YOU GUYS RECOMMEND A BETTER REEL FOR THESE RODS. SEEMS LIKE I COULD DO A LITTLE BETTER IF I COULD GET ANOTHER 25yds OR SO ON MY CAST.

[ 12-20-2004, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: OZARKHILLBILLY ]

The SU 1386 and 1389 were both 11'6" (138") in length. It's possible someone fitted them with a 2' butt extension. The 1386 was rated 2-4 and the 1389 3-6. Adding a butt extension might also affect the action.

Fenwick did make some longer blanks, too.

Gentelmen That was a great rod in its time. The rod was designed by mr Green one of the NW best casters and owner of Finwick and Sage Rods. The rod was designed and made on Bainbridge Island in Washington State. The Finwick company was sold a feww years back and they no longer sell blanks of any kind. I know here in Washington the finwick steelhead rods still go for a premeium price if they are in mint condition.

Good Holidays and Good Wraps Bob

One of my winter projects is rebuilding an old abused and neglected SU-1388. The tip section is 88 inches and the butt section is 48 inches. The ferrule connection and Varmac reel seat look like chrome-plated metal. It was previously built as a spinner with the old stainless foul proof guides but one of the guides is missing. Unfortunately the guides were wrapped about 15 degrees off of the spine. The tip section has a permanent curve in it, probably from being shoved into a corner and stored for years in this bent position.

Does any one have recommendations on how to remove the curve in the tip section? Or should I just consider it to be a feature of its character?

Thanks,

Guy F

Been looking to complete my collection of Fenwick Big Stick Surf rods,

I found the last on at a flea market, In great shape, early model with

chrome ring guides, one bent

5 plus tip, Ordered new Pacific Bay SHG Hialoy guides.

Will try it with new penn 850ssm soon. Us old guys can't change. I know there are new products that might out preform these, but old friends that work are hard to get rid of.

I bought the other 3 in 1983 for $185.00 each, this one was a steal $50.00

Treasuretrove of Fishing, drool.gif