Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plugchucker

upper hand grip on loomis removal question

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding the upper hand grips on 2 of my Loomis rods.Specifically the 1142 and the 1084.The upper grip on both rods are foam and rather bulky.Ideally,I'd like to remove these and replace them with tape.This would make it thinner and more comforatble for me.The question is,is this something that I can easily do?If so how,or should I just take it to a shop?Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.Thanks hammer-time.gif

You could just cut it away with a razor knife or a single edge razor blade. Be extra careful when you get down to the blank. Scrape away the remaining glue, you can warm it with a hair dryer and use some denatured alcohol to clean up. Install cork tape and finsh the ends with thread or shrink tube. The shrink tube might actually be more difficult because you will be forced to use a diameter that will go on from the bottom of the rod so it will have to pass over the butt cap and the reel seat. If you go with thread it is neater any way. Finish the thread wraps with flex coat or some other rod finsh.

Good Luck