Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WorcBoy

AllStar 1209, XRA1205,GSB1201M

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

OK,

Looking foa cape cod canal rod for jigs, 3 to 6 oz. fishing braid and a 7000c. Of these three blanks what would youbuild and why?

Thanks,

Billy

I was out casting my BGSW 1209 yesterday for "practice"... for me, i'd say it's quite a bit too much to load well with three or maybe even four oz... I was hitting around 140 yards (over grass) with an 8 oz sinker and 17# mono.. it's a VERY powerful rod.. in the all star/breakaway line, I'd say the 1266 or the 1418 would be much better suited for 3-6 oz...

my 11 cents...

------------------

I may be small... But I'm slow!!

I don't know if the XRA 1205 will handle 6 oz at the top, but the 1209 All Star needs a good 5 just to load.

On the other hand, I do know that the XRA 126 1MH loads easily with 3 and handles 6 no problem wink.gif

another thought.. if you want a one-piece, i'm pretty sure there is also an allstar/breakaway 1208 which may be better for what you are looking for.. i've never used one...

------------------

DJ: Never thought of that blank.....

TB: Thanks for the input. I know there are guys that swear by the 1209 for the canal.

Decisions, decisions decisions.......

WorcBoy, others will know better than me about that particular application... I've never fished there (YET) and for me it's mostly a matter of max distance alone where i fish.....

catchagreatbiggun!!

------------------

I have both the 1208 and the 126 1MH.

The 1208 does fine with 3-4 oz jigs, but since it's a faster rod, you start to feel the tip section labor when you try to lift more than 4 oz off the bottom when jigging.

The 126 1MH bends parabolically, so you're using more of the rod's length to lift the jig.

Worc Boy

Give me a shout when your going to be at the Ditch. I'll let you take a swing with both the 1209 and the 1208 any time you like Regards Big Dave

For 4 to 6 , I would recommend the 1209. For 3 to 6 , the XRA 126-1MH would be the only rod.Most guys fish 3 to 5 or 4 to 6. I find that most guys who say 3-6 actually will be fishing 3 to 5. I seldom see people fish 6 OZ except the real hardcore bunch and they don't usually go below 4. Anyway , for 4-6 , 1209. 3to 5 , the XRA 1205 or the Allstar 1208 would be good. Another very inetesting rod for 3 to 5 would be the new Allstar 1267/2.