Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandflee

Heaver Blank Suggestions

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

lookin to pick-up a convention surf blank, to have a custom built suggestions please....

1 pc 10 ft. able to handle 5oz + bunker head on nice days

up to 8 oz Plus head on somewhat rough days. will be matched w a newel or a suidder but leaning towards the newell, so what do u suggest other than a ron arra blank which i priced out at $430 yikes, lookin to spend around 200-240 that including blank, plus materials.? figure this is basically a S/S Long Island heaver setup that i'm seeking thanks guys lookin foward to all replies..

Closest you will get to satiusfying all your requirements is the allstar 1209. It will be perfect at the 5 OZ plus bait level. At 8 plus bait , its a little weak.

well i might have stated it wrong figure it's really a 5oz + head so thats about 8-9oz

i did see a lami 1 pc 10' conv. surf blank rated at 8-12 oz for $120 just wondering if u guys would recommend anything different. thanks for the reply

Sand,

Dont believe that rating on the Lami. If its the 1 I think youre talking about for $120, your looking at 4-6 ounces with a chunk tops..

I would look into a Rainshadow SU 1209. It'll throw 10 OZ and a chunk... you can PM me for more details if you like.

BC

Not to sound like a dick, but why do you want to stay at 10'? If you do want a 10 footer the SB1213M is a good, solid glass rod by Lami. The blank is very inexpensvie as well.

Jeff

All good suggestions. But, for a south shore surf heaver, I would be inclined to go along with Jeff. Why limit it to 10 foot and why not consider glass. Priced right, lots of power, leverage and durability. Very forgiving to cast. Lami SB1363M or SB1364M would be contenders at 11-4. They can be finished to almost any length you like down to 10 by cutting from the tip, butt or both. If it will spend time in a spike the little bit extra weight won't matter. Kinda "old school" but there's a reason these have been popular for so long.

Steve

I agree on all choices...if you are deadsticking the rod a 1364M Lami is a great chunker, handles any weight in any weather, if you plan on holding the rod the 1209 is the better choice by far, though won't handle the weights the 1364M can.

biggrin.gif

Im gonna have to disagree respectfully with you guys.. if youre gonna spike a rod, than yes, glass is the way to go. Plus, I dont think a 3M can handle 8 oz and a chunk without lobbing it. Im telling you guys, this 1209 is a BEAST. It has more "balls" than the Lami 122 1MH and thats saying ALOT. I was hanging 12 oz off the rod the other night and she didnt even bend, this is a meat stick. I have a casting clinic Saturday that I will bring it to just to test cast and confirm my thoughts, but please dont overlook dis blank, Im tellingyou its a monster.

However, I will agree, no need to stay at 10, I only recommend the SU 1209 at 10ft cause thats what the post was about. If you want to go 11, I would definately say 1 lami 136 1MH. or XRA 138 1MH. both monsters at 11 (personally, I would go 11), but if yousre stuck for some reason at 10 1209 is the rod...

BC

Since BC chimed in I'll had this... The 1209 allstar (I understand the 1209 batson may be lighter and that may be what folks are thinking about) is a BEAST! I think the top end on that stick is a volkswagen beetle with two small passengers....

Seriously, I've casted 10 and bait for 2 solid days with mine, and have thrown 12 and bait with it.. I've not used the lami mentioned, but it is a REAL heaver.. I can't imagine anything better if you want 10'.

BC's right. If you want the ultimate LI South Shore Heaver it's usually considered to be built at 11 (nominal) feet on the GSB1361MH Lami blank. The catalog price is around $200 but that can vary based on the extreme shipping costs on an 11 foot one piece. The most expensive Arra is the XRA1381MH but I don't think it's the $430 (blank) you mentioned unless you add single piece shipping. If you can find a GSB1361MH for the catalog price, and the guides (BNLG's for example) a reel seat and cork tape, thread and epoxy come to another $40 or so, you are close to your target for materials. Before taxes.

I'm not familiar with the SU1209 but if BC says it's more powerful than the GSB1221MH (which I do own) it's got to be some rod!

Steve

Update of sorts.

Lami 2004 catalog price for GSB1361MH is $198.

The ARRA XRA1381MH does not appear in 2004 but was $387 in the '03 catalog. I wouldn't expect to find this stuff discounted anywhere since the shipping is such a big overhead. So the $430 you mentioned is not that unrealistic (economically) if you consider having it shipped and throw in something to help George Pataki with NYS Government. It does add up to an extremely costly rod! You need to find a place who deals regularly in the Lamiglas blanks (or whatever you choose) that can order in big enough quantity to average out the shipping and hope that they have what you need in stock or wait for their next big order.

Steve

You can get the 10' SB1213M blank for less than $100.00.

Its rated 4-12, will not get there on the high end, but will rip 6 oz plus bait. This i hope partially answers the question based on 10'.

Jeff

Ron told me the XRA 138 1MH has been discontinued frown.gif

If you want an 11' and don't want to spend GSB 136 1MH green, you could get an All Star or Batson SU 1209 and fit it with a butt extension. Breakaway pretty much did that when they had their "one-piece/two-piece" model. I think it was 13' overall, with a 3' butt section that ferruled to a 1209 blank as the "tip" piece.