Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rachel Marie

Hollow Peanut Bunker

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

The above Semper Fleyes were all tied with multiple feathers at each tie. Notice the multi colored one near the middle f the pack. Match the feathers as best as you can and palmer. Makes the fleye tied much faster!

BobPop

[ATTACHMENT=10091]DSCN1736.jpg (83k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Just sent pix to a friend, Joe Sawicki. Then I came across Andy's tie here. Keep tyin my man!

BobPop

Long time no hear - welcome back :-)

For those of you that don't know Andy, I used to refer to him as the BIONIC TIER! Show him once and the next day he had two dozen! Lol. VERY TALENTED. Knows proportions and shapes and how to put it all together on a hook shank. HE GETS IT! Look at his ability to capture the true shapes, curves and tapers to mimic natural baits. That's some of fly tying essence if you ask me. Learn from him. He likes to share and teach. Respect the traditions of the past and welcome future change. Evolution is critical and necessary to the well being of our sport. ENJOY.

Damn they look great. I love the shape of them and the second from the right next to the chartreuse fly has some of the best looking color blending I've seen in a long while.

Those Sempers look so fluffy and nice. Like marshmallow:)

Andy's flies are just so inspiring that even though my fly boxes are stuffed as a pig I can't help myself tying another one when i check out this site.

Andrew -- Those are really beautiful, and should be just perfect for peanuts. As to Joe's suggestion, I agree that it's really tough to tie a good Hollow under 3-4 inches. It's the perfect style for the larger peanuts in the 4-6 inch range -- like you see on the Jersey shore in the fall. Where I used to fish every summer on the Cape, these tiny peanuts would invade in late August. They were only 1-3 inches in length, and while I used scaled down Hollow Fleyes, it was tough to get as good a taper. As Andrew says, the bucktail doesn't lay back as nicely in those shorter lengths and, more important, bucktail loses a little of its movement in shorter than 2 inch lengths. For the baby sized bunker, there are lots of other options. One of my favorites is a Spread Fleye, and I also use various synthetics to get the deep belly in the shorter lengths. Anyway, great flies Andrew.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel Marie View Post

Joe I did one like you had asked .. I will do another a little later that has a little more roundness in the head and is a little cleaner but this is a example , they can be tied very small but no smaller then 3inches. I don't think you can get the BT to lay back that short when Hollow Tied but maybe someone like JK ,or BP might be able to..

Love this one! Man I really love this one! You did better then nail it! Like Master BOBPOPS says about you....BIONIC TYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets fish this fall run buddy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobPop View Post

Just sent pix to a friend, Joe Sawicki. Then I came across Andy's tie here. Keep tyin my man!

BobPop

Thanks pal!!!! Really appreciate that we talk on a regular basis, and all the help you have given me! You are the master of tying! You started the saltwater craze and have evolved generation by generation! BobPops you are truly the man in my opinion! Glad we have become such good friends!!!!!!!!! ****Just remember Sea Robins chase your candiesssssssssssssssssscrazy.gif

post-70541-1423098281696_thumb.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post

Andrew -- Those are really beautiful, and should be just perfect for peanuts. As to Joe's suggestion, I agree that it's really tough to tie a good Hollow under 3-4 inches. It's the perfect style for the larger peanuts in the 4-6 inch range -- like you see on the Jersey shore in the fall. Where I used to fish every summer on the Cape, these tiny peanuts would invade in late August. They were only 1-3 inches in length, and while I used scaled down Hollow Fleyes, it was tough to get as good a taper. As Andrew says, the bucktail doesn't lay back as nicely in those shorter lengths and, more important, bucktail loses a little of its movement in shorter than 2 inch lengths. For the baby sized bunker, there are lots of other options. One of my favorites is a Spread Fleye, and I also use various synthetics to get the deep belly in the shorter lengths. Anyway, great flies Andrew.

Johnny whats up? Hope all is well!!!!! Will you be heading to MTK for the crazeeeeeee this fall?

Joe thanks but nothing is more true then what you have said about Sensei "The Master" POPFLEYE's ... If it wasn't for his dedication and incredible fly tying foundation that he laid,,, I would have no clue.. He has influenced us all in so many great ways. He is a very special man that has walked a higher path giving so much to this sport. God Bless...

Was on the hunt this morning , nothing doin.. Big school off big Bunkers splashing around about a quarter mile off, nothing on them.. Did a little taping on my Iphone4 of the Hollow Fleyes in the water ,, just a quick vid ,, hope you like it.. YouTubes picture quality sucks!!! Sorry I gotta get Vimeo.. Looks very clear on the movie maker but once I download it just kills it!!:-(

After tying 4 Hollow Bunker type Fleyes this week I started experimenting with the way that I'm tying them. What I have found is by tying in the last two applications of BT half flat and half Hollow tied I am getting the true shape that I'm looking for .. The top portion of this Hollow Fleye is flat and the underneath side is reverse or Hollow tied.. The Fleye at the left of the pack was done this morning in this manor. I think you will see what I mean how the bottom has the deep belly while the top stays more on a gradual taper..

The cheek feathers are Seagull hackle that my Daughter picked up for me on the beach yesterday..