Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhodyflyguy

T610

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I was thinking about building a Calstar T610. It would be my first time building a rod. The price seems right, but has anyone used this before? It would be used for deep water fluking, black fishing, live lining shad, and as a light wire rod. A relative has an old Garcia reel that's in perfect condition that i might be able to get for free icon14.gif that i'd match to it. Any thoughts on the rod would be great.

T610 7' 1.060 9 25-60 MODERATE

J/L 30-50 LB.

T610H 7' 1.075 10 30-80 MODERATE

J/L 40-60 LB.

Those are the specs from Calstar. If by deepwater Fluke, you mean Halibut, though will work fine. lol. It's WAY too heavy for Fluke, you are looking for 1 rod to cover a WIDE assortment of fishing. Wire line rod & Fluke rod are opposite ends of the spectrum.

What I would do is to look for 2 blanks, one medium light one you can use for general Fluking, and one heavier one you can use for basically Stripers & Blues. Price is a concern, so look at Rainshadows & Forcasts, you might be able to find 2 blanks for the price of one Calstar.

I am not familiar enough with RS blanks, but I think the Forcast 70MH will make you a good overall medium-ish bottom fishing rod, and only set you back about $20. That's a start

yeah, Billy 40, that blank probably is too heavy for fluke. I was thinking of using it with 6 oz. + of weight off Montauk. Still, though, as a light wire rod and a live lining rod, it should be good. I guess it'll be used as a striper, bluefish, cod and blackfish rod. I might also use it for tuna and shark and dolphin.

T500 7' .950 8 20-30 MODERATE

L 25 LB.

That might work. I'm curious as to why you are only looking at Calstar Glass blanks? Not that there is anything wrong with them, it's just that there are quite a few other blanks, from Calstar as well as other companies that people here have used for the species you are targetting.

If there was somewhere you could go pull on these blanks, I think more people would be able to answer your question. The only guy I know that carries Calstar is Mark Flynn of Long Island Rodcrafting. He's very helpful, maybe he's felt these blanks before? I dunno.

Billy 40-

I'm leaning towards Calstar (now the T330) as I've heard a lot of people use them to catch some huge fish on long range boats out of San Diego. A second reason is I've found a site that I can get everything to build the rod for $84.37 before taxes. The reason I'm leaning towards glass blanks is I like the feel of them for bottom fishing. A fourth reason is I've got a good feeling about these rods, even though I've yet to pick one up. That last reason probably sounds pretty stupid, but I could really care less. I'm going to order the stuff this weekend and stop at Home Depot and Sports Authority to get the stuff to build the rod building table.

okay, now i have a dilemma. i'm 99.999999% likely to order a Calstar T330 this weekend. I'd be matching it to my Abu Garcia 6000, an AWESOME reel. Would Hardloy guides w/ an SIC II top stick up to braid, or should I go w/ all SIC II guides + tip[? I know the SIC II guides would be the best, but I want to make this a low budget rod.

While some find it neccesary to put an SIC top, I'm not one of those people. Hardaloy is more than sufficient for use with braided line. What guides are you planning on getting? BNLGH, or BHNLG's? I'd go with the first set becasue they are much lighter than teh second set.

I'll also learn how to spine a rod in real life (not from a computer) on Saturday

The Internet Rodbuilder, lol. 10 seconds after you start to find the spine, you'll be done, wondering what all teh big deal was about.