Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeH

foregrip on a taped rod?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi Al, I used the search feature tonight,Thanks for answering about a hundred of my questions.I'am sure that you feel relived just knowing thatbiggrin.gif

I am planning a conventional 10' remade from an old spinner.I have it all stripped just right.I want to use cork tape over a 1" blank end.

What size tape should I buy? 1/16 or 1/8

Can I get by without a foregrip? Do I need one? My quess is no,just enough taped blank to cover the length past the reel?

Thanks so much again.Happy NY ,Mike

------------------

FUNDY is more fun at night

Mike,

Hold the butt end of the blank luke you would cast. Note how your fingers wrap around the butt. There should be a small gap (no less than 1/2 inch), between the tip of your middle finger and the base of your palm. I like to cork tape rod with 1/8 tape. If you can't get that thickness then double wrap with 1/16 tape. Make sure you wrap each layer in the opposite direction.

You can tape the foregrip, however I prefer to use a flocked cork foregrip. It is more comfortable and durable then cork tape. You work with it just like cork, reaming it to fit and then epoxy gluing it in place. These grips are not readily available. I have these custom made for me. If you would like one, then PM me your address and I will send you one.

Al

Al happy holidays to you. MikeH asked a question that I was going to ask. Seems like we are building the same type rod. If possible, could you please get me the info for a fore grip like the one you talked about. Thanks MikeP

Al,

What's the purpose of wrapping the second layer of tape in the opposite direction?

Is it to cover the seams of the first layer?

I ussually just start the second layer at a different spot than the first so that the seam from the first layer is covered by the center of the second layer and wrap them both the same direction.

Am I doing it wrong?

Ken

Al-Is a foregrip even necessary for the conventional rod? I am not familiar with this set up and will probably be the 1st one in my area(At least in modern memory) I have been looking in books and noticed that lots of rods have them but some dont.I would think that if you were casting you dont use the foregrip but also if you have to thumb the laying of the line on the spool with the other hand,you wouldnt need it either! Is it necessary for fighting the fish as a small break to relax your arm? Dosnt seem right but I really dont know as I have no experience hereconfused.gif

Mike P - Good luck,Lots of fun learning,eh? I was surprised at how many questions I didnt even know I had until I used the search feature in this forum.I learned lots and found that most of my questions were already answered at another time.This site is better than any book....

------------------

FUNDY is more fun at night

Busy night with lots of questions.

Ken - You can double wrap the tape like you are doing it. The results will be the same. You do not want the seams aligned for both layers.

Mike H. - The foregrip serves two functions, the first is during the retrieve to hold the rod when fishing conventional. The second for fish fighting. The grip needs to be frim in your hand as well as the correct diameter, otherwise your hand will cramp up on a long fight with a good fish.

Mike P. - If you are also interested in a flocked cork foregrip then PM me your address and I can send you one.

Al

Al-Thanks again and also for taking this time during the BUSY SEASON to answer our questions-you are a gentleman.I will decide on a forgrip after I do some more reading but I think that I will use one now because I may not always want a non-levelwind.Have to try first,I guess.It sounds best to have one.

Mike P-Good luck also,Maybe we could submit pics after we are done(sorta like being a proud father showing family pics)smile.gif I have a surfcasters catalogue that I will order some parts from so it will be awhile but still a worthwhile winter project.Do some guys really crank out 5 rods/week? My rod will be more function than decorative but it still has to look good!