Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LIStriper

Spun trigger reel seat

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have a question about fixing a spun reel seat.

The rod is a St Croix boat rod with cork rings, and while setting up on a black fish the reel seat broke loose.

Can the seat be epoxied while in place?

The best that I can think of is to drill two or three holes in the seat and inject epoxy into the cavities.

Any better ideas?

Thanks in advance.

The rod is a St Croix boat rod with cork rings, and while setting up on a black fish the reel seat broke loose.

Poor little boat rod never had a chance. wink.gif

As Oz suggested, I would try St.Croix first and see what they can do for you. (And yes, this is the second time today I'm agreeing with him. eek.gif ). I don't have any personal experience with them but a lot of the guys here have and most of it seems to be favorable.

A reelseat shouldn't come loose like that. Any "on rod" repair is gonna be second best at this point.

I agree. I will try it with St Croix directly. If not I'm going in.

AL,

When you say gel-type are you speaking of the thick zap-a-gap or the even thicker zap-a-dap-a-do stuff?

I have a few years experience doing the rod repairs and custom work for a large tackle shop. There are 2 ways I approach this situation.

The first and least strong method is to use a syringe to inject epoxy anyplace I can get the needle underneeth the reel seat. This method only works well with foam gripped rods.

The second and preferred method is to cut the rod in two right in the center of the reel seat. Then carefully remove the old reel seat being careful not to damage the cork or the blank. Next cut a short piece of blank that will fit snugly inside of the rod to act as a sleve. Build up the blank to the proper thickness for the new reel seat using three rows of masking tape. Then glue up the whole assembly with a new reel seat using evercoat epoxy paste glue. Make sure that everything is properly alligned and use masking tape to hold everything in place until the epoxy hardens. (I have a special jig for this purpose) Using this method you would never know that there had ever been a problem and the new reel seat will be much stronger than the old one.

PS I charge about $10 plus the price of the new reel seat for this type of repair.

Don't send it back to St Croiz unless you want to have it happen again. St Croix uses cardboard to make a bushing between the seat and the blank. If you want the fix done once and for all, have a rod builder repair it using a better material for the bushing.

I have done a few St Croix rods with this problem and it is not necessarily the cardboard bushings it is the lack of good epoxy. They use the epoxy as if there is a shortage. Whatever it is they use also looks like it is a fairly thin epoxy. The Evercoat Epoxy paste glue is hard to beat. I have never seen a modern reel seat spin that was properly glued.

Strip off the fore grip to the rod. and slide the seat up and clean off the old epoxy and spacing material. use heat from a heat gun if necessary. Once cleaned take masking tape and build up a few bands around the blank and fit the reel seat tightly over. once you have a nice tight slip fit slide the seat up again and mix up some 5 minute epoxy and spread a generous amount over the bands and blank with a twisting and push and pull motion work the seat down into place. ensuring the epoxy is well spread around and an adaquate amount is under the seat. use some cork wrap to finish off the new fore grip and your done. Dont drill holes in the seat. Regards Big Dave

That method does work on a 2 piece rod, but I doubt the St Croix that was described here is a 2 piece. I have also removed butt grips and slid a new seat up from the butt. Often you end up using a larger reel seat than the original due to the taper of the blank. In this situation I dont think you would want to replace the cork grip on the rod as it would be more trouble and more expense. I also do not recommend 5 min epoxy for this type of application as it is not nearly as strong as 30 min or idealy a paste epoxy glue, longer setting epoxies also give you more time to get everything streight and you also have alot more time to clean any residue off of the rod before it begins to set up. A couple of reasons I strongly recommend the Evercoat Epoxy Paste Glue:

1. Extremely strong this stuf will never fail.

2. Consistancy of Mayonaise lets you form the Epoxy around the blank without it running. By doing this the epoxy becomes the bushings as you fill the gaps between the bands of tape.

3. It does not drip off or run easily.

4. 8 hour set up time gives you plenty of time to check your work and clean everything properly.

My friend had that happen to a Ben Doer elite surf stick sent it back only to have it happen again.It seemed as if they use a three pc seat.probably to save bout a dollar on a 250 dollar rod.