Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ahab7

Spiral Wrap Surf Rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Anybody ever do a spiral wrap surf rod. Have a 10 ft. Perigee blank I was thinking of spiral wrapping setup for conventional reel for the fun of it. Will I wind up with a useless stick or an unusual, but useful tool?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Paul

Not yet, but I will. Based on test casting 8 foot boat rods, I will go out on a limb and say there will be no loss of casting distance - IF IT IS SET UP PROPERLY. I could be wrong though, since I've yet to try it.

FishAaddict has a 10' spiral wrapped conventional that he throws jigs with at the Ditch...he seems to be able to reach and touch someone with that stick... icon14.gif (the thread colors are a different matter... redface.gifwink.gif )

the only two rods that i've wrapped so far have been spiral wrapped 9-ft lami sb 1213m's (1-ft cut from butt)... the first rod casts great...

from what others have said a properly set up spriral wrapped rod will not have any appreciable loss of distance compared to the same rod wrapped "conventionally"...

Okay now... so my wrapps are a "little loud"..

I have several sprial wrapped conventionals i've done. Have not noticed any loss in distance yet. I can say that I do realy like the sprial for jigging the canal. Makes it a more stable rod. Just finished wrapping a Patriot 1209 in the sprial, hoping to have it epoxied and cured in time to play with it next weekend. That 10 footer is the longest i've wrapped so far.. Also just finished a light 9 footer for throwing 1-2oz jigs that came out realy sweet.

I also have one of the Perigee 1202M's I will sprial wrap. That meat stick will make a great jigging rod for the canal...

[ 04-30-2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Fishaddict ]

I spiral wrapped an allstar 1265 over the winter and have been using it all spring. I haven't noticed any loss of distance at all and I can't feel the shock knot passing through the guides either. Caught a couple of albies on it and it handled them really well. Be prepared to have a lot of conversations, because everybody will be asking how drunk you were when you built it, or start yelling at you to straighten out your rod! I plan on building a heaver soon, I'm sure I'll get lots of funny looks with that one too! It should get me some extra elbow room on the Point anyway. smile.gif

Be prepared to have a lot of conversations, because everybody will be asking how drunk you were when you built it, or start yelling at you to straighten out your rod!

Yeah, you'e aloner on teh beach, imagine how bad it is on a crowded party boat sull of Ugly Sticks and White boat rods with wooden handles. You learn to act like a teenager again, ignoring everything people say to you, and just stand there with an ety look on your face. Not that my 13 year old son does this to me.