Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zimmy

distance question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I built my dad a gsb1362m recently. He used it for the first time last week. I get the feeling he feels it doesn't cast as far as it should. I used

BHNLG guides 20,16,16,16,12,12,12,12,12 plus a SIC tip. I don't remember exact location of the 1st guide from the center of the reel, but I think it is around 30". His comment was, "I think it might have too many guides." I am not sure that is the issue...Any suggestions to what I might check out when I get my hands on it. I beleive I got the guide pretty close to max distance without line slap. Could the 1st guide be too small for the reel (It is a Daiwa shv30 with I believe 20 or 25lb test). He was throwing 8 oz with a chunk of bunker.

Thanks

Owen

Cant really comment on distance. I have built on many of those blanks. my setups have been BNLG hardloy 30,25,20,16,16,12,12,12. for the whipy rods they are, they throw plugs fairly well.

If I'm thinking of the right reel (conventional) you are about way too close with the too small gathering guide.

I would have used a 30 casting guide or even a 30 BSVLG (for added hight to allow me to push it further out) pushed way out near 38 to 40 inches maybe even 42. If i used the Bsvlg for the gathering guide I'd switch to the BNLG guides after the first.

A typical guide set the way I build would be 30 , 25 , 20 , 20 , 16 , 16 , 12 , 12

Saltheart,

I chose the guides on Al's recommendation. The reason the first guide is so small is because they do not make a larger guide in that series. I will have to measure the distance this week. If it is around 30" and the concensus is that might be the problem, I will consider changing/monving some guides. Thanks for the info...

Zimmy,

Could be the chunking rig your dad was using as well. If he was using a long leader, the rig will tend to "helicopter" on the way out and kill the distance.

I agree with distance figures when throwing lighter weights. IE, ring size for gathering line etc and its effecton casting.

however, with a 136 2MH, guides and ring size, IMO especially on a conventional really dont matter too much. more important factors in casting a rod that big are IMO 1) Reel 2)Line, and how you are set up.

by this, I mean, you need a good casting reel. Ie, Newell 344 or Squidder. 40 lb Min (50 lb ideally) test and around 12 inchs of leader material between the barrel swivel and the hook. these factors are more important to casting distance than guide placement or size. IMHO.

so to sum up, most important factors when casting big rods with big weights?

-the Angler, you must be able to make good casts

-the reel

-the line

-A short leader (12-14 inches).

BC

He was using a Daiwa slx 30 shv with 25lb test, a 50lb shock leader and a drum rig. I'll have to get more details from him.

When I set it up, the line didn't seem to be choked and if I went further out with the guide the line started to slap. Hmmm..