Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
h2oboss

BPS HEAVER or BUILD ONE

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I want to build my own Heaver. I have a freind who has built rods so he has a lathe(sp) and the other components. My problem is which blank to get, price is a problem...looking of for a 12'blank around $100 or maybe a little more....I've looked at St. Croix, Lamiglass, Rainshadow, and others. ALSO, I've found a "potential" Heaver at BPS about $120 rated for 4-8oz 20-40lb and is 12' ....from what I've read it has no problem w/ 8-n-bait and can outcast much pricer setup according to other SOLers? Is this a good rod or would I be beter off building one (if at all possible for that much$$)

I can't comment on the BPS heaver you are referring to. For $120 you are probably going to get what you pay for. If you are going to do alot of this type of fishing then going custom or building it yourself is probably the way to go.

Before investing the time and money into building one yourself, try checking out the production Breakaway heavers.

You can beat the Oceanmaster, but not for the money. Also, look at the Pinnacle Shorline Special 11 1/2'. It's several dollars cheaper and will work for 8-n-bait. Ther are very few places that you need 8-n-bait. The Point at Cape Hatteras is one of the only ones I know of and I can't enjoy playing in that madhouse. There are many custom rods that will outdo either one for lightness and power, but not for the money.

Stringman, that seems to be the general opinion I've recieved or read. I'm sold....maybe a purchase in Oct. wait just a minute, birthday is 9-1....Yippie i plan on using it on AI down here in MD where 12oz won't hold some times