magikbbg

What kind of porgy rig do you use?

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've recently been porgy fishing and have been having a blast on super light tackle, I was wondering what kind of rig do you guys use if you're porgy fishing from a jetty or a pier? (not boat)

Don't laugh ... but I've been using a Hi Lo rig I made with my 40lb mono I carry to make shock leader with and use 1/0 circle hooks, I dead stick that rod while lure fishing or chunk fishing with my other rod and I've been having a blast...

My rig is >> Barrel --> Dropper circle hook >> about 12inches down >> dropper circle hook >> about 6 inches down sinker on a surgeon loop

I recently read some people put the sinkers on top dropper and a hook on the bottom ? I was wondering what guys you've been using to catch porgies and such! Oh and what kinda bait do you use? I've been getting good luck with bloodworms and mussels (dead ones from work I've been salting).

The circle hooks seemed ridiculous at first but after I tried it and just dead sticked the rod it seems to just catch themselves while I can fish for other things, circle hooks are pretty awesome for porgy fishing. At least non-boat fishing. 

I use the same rig as you, with all diffrent hooks . I love scup fishing it is for sure a blast . Here's a few from this weeks outings , every time out more 12" fish have been mixing in .

and my take from and hours fishing tonight , sorry there from a boat but still a blast .  

The j"s i have now are no bigger than the standerd store bought rig size . A tad bigger than the #2 mustad circles i have been using the last few weeks . I have about 4 rigs tied at all times and always put the weight on the bottom leaving the bait suspended 

I use similiar rigs, but instead of Dropper knot, I use "Lamp post" / "Grand Bank" knot.

My rig is >> Barrel --> Grand bank + circle hook >> about 12inches down >> Grand bank + circle hook >> about 6 inches down sinker on a surgeon loop.

Nobody uses the traditional 1/0 tinned O'Shaunnessy tied Sea Bright a foot above the sinker? Best porgy fishing I saw was tie a Sea Bright to the end of the mainline, put a splitshot at the tie, throw it uptide and let it sink. Porgies grab it and run like bluefish. Only works when you have a load of room on a boat.

cptjack; I agree with you, I still snell my own hooks and make my own rigs. A lot of toady's store bought is good, a lot are tied on Chinese knock-off hooks and when you look at the mark-up compared to buying components in bulk it's a rip-off.

You're paying for the service! Lol

I enjoy making my own rigs and seeing if they fail or succeed. And thinking of any new ways to make the rig ! It's really enjoyable .

Thank you for Sharing your rigs and techniques. I tried a triple header rig lol what a pain.

What kind of knot do you guys use to tie hooks to droppers? I lost a hook last time came straight off. I used a clinch knot didn't work well.