Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianZ

2 peice help

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I will be wrapping a 2 piece 8'6" rod in the next 2 weeks and i have never wrapped a 2 peice before.

1) Is it necessary to wrap the female end of the ferrule (strength??!) and if so any comments on thread choice or length of wrap.

2)splining the butt section, how do you do it, it is a pretty beefy peice that is not likely to bend much at all, is it necessary to do it if the tip section has been splined?

Anything else Al or anyone can think of in terms of "tips" for wrapping a 2 peice rod that is different from 1 piece rods will be greatly appreciated. thanks smile.gif

Brian, it's absalootly necessary to wrap the female ferrule for hoop strength. Use size A thread and be very careful to not wrap with too great a tension as it is possible to distort the blank out of round and ruin the ferrule fit. The wrap should be a bit longer than the length to which the male section fits - I usually go a half inch longer - and the wrap should finish off close as possible to the open end.

Huskier blanks are all but impossible to spline just a butt section; lighter ones, yes. My general rule is if ya can, do it. More often than not you can't, and it's then, of course, really no issue.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 08-22-2001).]

Thanx BK,

It's a tri flex and the butt is pretty thick, i don't think it's posible to wrap the ferrule to tight smile.gif thanks for the help.

on other thing, i may have to put the stripper real close to the ferrule on the male/butt section, should i forego that and just put it on the tip section?, or go with a larger ring (40 to 50 say) cheated back from the ferrule?

Hi Brian,

Assemble the blank and position the stripper guide as you would normally do for a one-piece rod. The stripper guide's position will be determined by the height of the guide and the diameter of the face spool if you are building it for spinning. The distance can range from 35-50 inches depending on these factors.

Then wrap the female ferrule, tape on the guides and test cast it. Adjust the guide spacing until you feel you are achieving optimum casting distance.

If the stripper guide ends up on the tip end of the blank, so be it.

Al

I'm wrapping my first 2 pc blank, a 9' Tri Flex, and after cruising thru some old threads I have one question.

Is it necessary or beneficial to plug the inside of the male ferrule? I believe my fly rods are plugged on the male end.thanks