Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
applecore

Rod Building Supply Store on Long Island

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I just purchased some blanks from an online store but would like to purchase the other materials- if possible- from a local store. I am based in Smithtown. Is there a good store that you would recommend for purchasing rod-building supplies that is not too far from me? Thank you for your help.

Best,

Doug

I usually go to Rocky Point Fishing Stop for supplies but Stan the owner will be in FL for the rest of the winter. They do have some stuff in house, or they can order stuff in for ya. They will be open on weekends for the rest of the winter.

Thanks. I do go there every once in a while but I wouldn't have thought they'd have rod-building supplies. It takes John a while to warm up to ya but I think I'm getting there. wink.gif

Matt.. LOL

TErminal Tackle is your best bet.. he has everything you need and he has the same prices as Sea Isle and Donnart.. plus, he is right next door to you..

like they said, even if you wanted something out of the ordinary, he'll get it for you in 3-5 days usually.. I get 95% of all my stuff from him...

BC

I'm curious - I can understand wanting to walk into a place and order components that they have. You see them, you bend blanks, etc. Why would you place an order through a store who doesn't have what you need? Just as easily as the shop can get it for you, you can order and get it yourself.

I'm curious - I can understand wanting to walk into a place and order components that they have. You see them, you bend blanks, etc. Why would you place an order through a store who doesn't have what you need? Just as easily as the shop can get it for you, you can order and get it yourself.

I think it depends upon the degree to which the store meets your needs otherwise. If you have a good rapport with the owner, and he generally stocks most of what you need, I think paying a bit more to order through him shows some loyalty and may pay dividends in the long run. I'll pay more than online pricing (primarily due to taxes) at the store where "Crazy" Alberto works because I appreciate the advice and encouragement I receive when he is on duty.

As far as blanks go, I'd rather buy where I can pick them up locally. I've seen too many stories where guys ordered blanks and they were trashed in shipping. Locally, what you see is what you get. Also, unless you're building with an established guide set up in mind, personally, I'd prefer seeing the stuff if possible. That's not always the case, but sometimes specifics of guide frame dimensions, etc. can be hard to come by, and without the actual guides it can be hit or miss. I've bought some stuff from John, and he's not bad, although he's pretty opinionated, and can make you feel like a fool sometimes. I've also been into Donart and Sea Isle. I kind of like the fact that at Sea Isle, you can really browse up close to your heart's content, Most of the stuff is accessible as opposed to being kept behind the counter. Donart can be good for some of the more offbeat stuff. I found preformed EVA surf grips there that I didn't see in the other places. If you're interested in building, there's no good reason not to visit all of them, and see what they each have to offer.

Why would you place an order through a store who doesn't have what you need?

One reason would be supporting ure local B&T...

Annother would be the advice/knowledge/ friendship with the owner, Stan at Rocky Point has been building rods for 30 plus years...not 5 like most of these internet expert rodbuilders...he knows ALOT.

Stan has also been very good to me over the years otherwise, and is as good a Bass fisher as there ever was.

Theres ure reasons why one would have a B&T order stuff in for ya.