Here is a short list of tackle shops that build surf rods that come to mind:

Murats, Attleboro, Mass

Cape Cod Tackle, Hyannis, Mass

Canal Bait and Tackle, Cape Cod

Roy's 2, Cape Cod, Bourne, Mass

Red Top, Buzzards bay, Cape Cod

CMS, North Dartmouth, Mass.

Al G.

Al, I can personally vouch for M&D Tackle in Wareham, just off the Canal. Mike Thomas has built many rods for me, and lots of others on the site. He does excellent work at very good prices, cheaper than both Bruce at Canal Tackle and Roy's. Additionaly, he will do a re-wrap at no charge if a blank breaks while it's under warranty. His web business is called Cape Cod Tackle, but the retail store is called M&D. CMS' prices are just about the same, and their work is excellent, too. Charlie usually has a number of customs that you can buy off the rack.

Red Top has not been building rods recently, and the last one they did for me was a disgrace. You could mogul ski on the peaks and valleys in the Flex Coat.

Lami only makes one 10' glass blank that fits the bill, that's the SB (or BSB in black finish) 121 3M. A custom builder could tailor an 11'4" one to the task, but cutting the blank will void the warranty. Seeker and Calstar make some 1 piece glass blanks in the 10' range, but I'm not familiar with their characteristics.

Harnell/Harrington also still make the 10' medium action 542 blank, but the shop that carried them in this area is now closed due to the owner's ill health.