Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RDD

Popping Rod Blank

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Al/guys

I'm looking to build a light spinning rod blank about 7'6", Lamiglas and Loomis make what they call a "popping rod" blank. Would this rod be good for tossing small Megabaits, Yozuri's etc. I have a Loomis 962 and would like something a step down in length and able to toss the lighter lures and still have some fight in it. Using a Stradic 4000 and Powerpro 20#. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks. Dave

Al,

I remember some talk about the "lilco stick" a while back - sounded like some kind of secret weapon. At the lightest end I use some small Yozuri Crystal Minnows which I think are about 3 5/8" and weigh 3/8 maybe even 1/4oz. In general I'd say 3/8 to 5/8oz range and wouldn't need to go any heavier.

Thanks. Dave

Dave,

The Lilco Stick was a discontinued Loomis popping blank that was 7.5 feet long. I will check out the various manufacturers 2001 blank catalogs and get back to you with a recommendation.

Al

Rooster,

It was the IM6 GPP764. i.e. Graphite Popping

7 ft 6 in. 3/8-1 oz.

They stopped making this one about 10 years ago. I managed to pick up a pile of them when they dropped the old models and went to IMX and GL2.

I think they private label them for Cabelas, but I can't be certain.

Al

Thanks Al, I was hoping that they were more recently discontinued since I am looking for a blank to cover light plugging duties.

I'll wait to see your recomendations to RDD.

Rui