Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EBHarvey

Single foot fly guides.....8s too small?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I'm about to start a 9' 9wt St. Croix for my father and just noticed that the size 8 single-foot guides are waaaaayyyyy smaller than the wire snake guides on an older 9wt of mine. They only make single-foots up to size 10, so I figured that 8s would be cool, but not I'm a little concerned. Any reason why I might need the 10s?

If it matters...the rod will be throwing a WF9 or 10 sink-tip.

Thanks in advance.

Size 8 ceramic rings are more than adequate for any fly line. Take a close look and you'll see that your 9 or 10 weight line doesn't fill up even 10% of the inside diameter of a #8 ring.

The only time you might want to go larger, would be due to using connections, loops, etc., that are simply too large to easily pass through a #8 ring. But unless you're using shooting heads or similar set ups, I doubt that will be a factor in your case.

EB,

I stick with the double foots because the hauling puts a pretty good sideways force on the guide and I think it stresses the wrap as well as the blank less. Might be psychological, but my therapist says not to worry about it and to take a little thorazine before fishing!! smile.gif